Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satoshi17kun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I saw a couple of my friends put glass protector on their iPhone camera. Does any of you guy use one too? I don't think it's necessary but then again most of my previous iPhones have somescratches on the bodies due to my carelessness.

Also, it seems to me that out of the box, the camera is already covered by a thin plastic. Or are my eyes playing trick on me and it's just part of the len?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I saw a couple of my friends put glass protector on their iPhone camera. Does any of you guy use one too? I don't think it's necessary but then again most of my previous iPhones have somescratches on the bodies due to my carelessness.

Also, it seems to me that out of the box, the camera is already covered by a thin plastic. Or are my eyes playing trick on me and it's just part of the len?

Never needed any protectors. It's sapphire and is highly scratch resistant. I have never scratched any of my lens covers on any of my iPhones.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
It's sapphire. Clearly someone falls for click-bait view-grabbing videos. There are many better videos proving it is sapphire. They just succeed because of fact not deception.

Reactions: 44267547

greatness

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Reactions: 44267547

kdarling

macrumors P6
I will search for the videos I saw, but to your point about it being poor quality... the more contamination, the stronger the glass is in resisting fracturing.

Sapphire isn't glass. Moreover, in this test it did not resist fracturing.

Apple then uses a scratch-resistant coating to make up for the increased scratch vulnerability. Best of both worlds for a camera lense.

There is a coating, but it's anti-reflective, not anti-scratch. The scratch resistant part is supposed to be the sapphire.

In the end, I think it doesn't matter too much. I think I'd worry less about scratches and more about outright shattering if I drop it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.