Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
A couple of months ago, my previous iPhone 7’s alarm clock thing started creating new, blank alarms. I call them phantom alarms.

They didn’t make any noise. They just appeared on my phone.

But when I go in to delete the unwanted and apparently automatic alarm, there is none. I have no 3rd party alarm or clock app.

In February, I slammed the phone in my car door, and the front camera (and therefore FaceTime) stopped working, so I sent it to Apple. I got a loaner, an iPhone 6, which I had to use for 3 weeks while Apple decided what to do with me. The problem was transferred to that loaner, but I didn’t pursue it cuz it wasn’t my phone.

I got the replacement iPhone 7 Apple sent me, and the problem persisted.

So, I deleted all of the alarms and rebooted the phone. Guess what? It’s still happening.

It’s not the end of the world for me, but I do wish I could figure out what’s wrong and how to fix it.ip

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
What are the specific times of these phantom alarms?
You may need to call the Ghostbusters (the older ones)

Now that you mention it, the time is generally at the time I wake up my phone, not just in the morning, but throughout the day.

Also: These alarms are always labeled "Alarm".

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
Creepy.
Have you been restoring your iPhones? It’s possible that this bug might be lingering in your backups.

Well, after I smashed the first one in the car door, I backed it up and sent it to Apple. When I got the loaner -- an iPhone 6 -- I restored it to the loaner. Then when I got the replacement iPhone 7, I restored that one.

It was happening on the original iPhone 7...and it happened on the iPhone 6...and now on this brand new iPhone 7,

Assuming you're right and the bug is lingering in the backups, how do I fix that?
[doublepost=1522901775][/doublepost]
:p They couldn’t beat Bill Murray’s humor. Nobody beats Bill Murray.

Except John Belushi. Belushi was king.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Assuming you're right and the bug is lingering in the backups, how do I fix that?

You'd need to set it up as a new phone and not restore from a backup. Sounds like there's something corrupted in that backup that you keep transferring to the new phones.

Reactions: TMRJIJ

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
You'd need to set it up as a new phone and not restore from a backup. Sounds like there's something corrupted in that backup that you keep transferring to the new phones.

Is there a way to put everything but the alarms back on my phone, or do I have to start from scratch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.