Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chickinjeans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
has anyone else noticed their iPhone 7 using way more data than their previous handset? With my iPhone 6, I would probably get a text around the 28th to say I'd used 50% of my 3GB data allowance. I got this text today. On the 6th!!! How on earth??

chickinjeans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
When I set up the phone I transferred all the same settings from the i6 so wifi assist was off. Provider just told me to also turn off background app refresh. Hoping that sorts it but I don't know. All the settings are exactly the same as last phone :(
[doublepost=1475773401][/doublepost]I've already reset the data usage thing to keep an eye between now and the end of the month. :/

Reactions: Applejuiced

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I went from an iPhone 6s to a 7 plus with the same usage, almost no video streaming so the increased resolution shouldn't be an issue, but my data has doubled since upgrading!

Reactions: chickinjeans

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Settings, cellular, turn wifi assist to Off.
and check your usage of what apps used how much data.
Is wifi assist bad?
[doublepost=1475810481][/doublepost]
has anyone else noticed their iPhone 7 using way more data than their previous handset? With my iPhone 6, I would probably get a text around the 28th to say I'd used 50% of my 3GB data allowance. I got this text today. On the 6th!!! How on earth??

I checked my usage and nothing seemed strange. Reset the statistics and will keep an eye on it.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I downloaded Evernote to my new iPhone 7 plus (I have 4 years worth of business notes and pics on it). It used up 11GB of data in 6 days!! I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Its back to normal now. It was quite a surprise!

chickinjeans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I went from an iPhone 6s to a 7 plus with the same usage, almost no video streaming so the increased resolution shouldn't be an issue, but my data has doubled since upgrading!

So it's not just me then x

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Is wifi assist bad?
No. Many blame it for many things, but it's a helpful feature if you don't want your service/tasks to be interrupted when your wifi signal gets weak or drops out.

Like any feature, it's up to user preference and can be toggled off. Most turn it off b/c they heard it's bad or read some idiotic shared post on Facebook that must be true.

I only have 2GB of shared data a month and always keep it on. If one is worried about this feature, he can simply reset the usage statistics at the beginning of the billing cycle and see how much data it's actually using.
[doublepost=1476188999][/doublepost]
My suspicion is iCloud backups/documents/data or photo stream.

Go here (Settings>Cellular) and scroll down. It will tell you which apps have used what data since you last reset it.

Last edited:

chickinjeans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Just been to my provider. That said I used almost 1.7GB just in one day on the 5th. The only thing I had running more than normal that day was Endomondo. Google said that uses minimal :/

chickinjeans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I had reset the statistics after getting the 50% text to keep stack and stupidly didn't check then before.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Just been to my provider. That said I used almost 1.7GB just in one day on the 5th. The only thing I had running more than normal that day was Endomondo. Google said that uses minimal :/

Who is your provider? You haven't said. A lot of people have been complaining about Verizon data usage going through the roof lately and several have said that that the iPhone cellular data usage numbers aren't matching up with the data usage numbers on Verizon's website.

chickinjeans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Who is your provider? You haven't said. A lot of people have been complaining about Verizon data usage going through the roof lately and several have said that that the iPhone cellular data usage numbers aren't matching up with the data usage numbers on Verizon's website.

I have a UK offshore provider called Manx Telecom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.