Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
The iPhone 7 will feature Bluetooth 5. The new Bluetooth 5 quadruples range, doubles speed, and increases data broadcasting capacity by 800% over Bluetooth 4.0.

The iPhone 4S was the first smartphone to feature Bluetooth 4.0 and the MacBook Air and Mac mini were the first computers to get the technology shortly before the iPhone 4S release. The iPhone 7 will be the first to feature the new Bluetooth 5 (they've dropped the .0 from the name).

Reactions: willmtaylor

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
You mean a genius or store employee? Or someone in corporate? Or my cousins, uncles, brothers, nephews, stepdads 3rd father type of situation?

Corporate. People that work for the Apple Store have no clue what's coming until the announcements are made public.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Fixed it for you. :)

Not true. Bluetooth 4.0 increased speed which meant LESS battery drain as information can be sent faster which requires shorter transmission bursts.

Unlike LTE which does take more power than 3G, faster Bluetooth speeds have meant less battery usage. If battery usage is the same for both old and new, but you can transfer a file in 1/10th the time with the new higher speed protocol, you save a lot of battery life by only transmitting for 1/10th the time.

Bluetooth 5 was designed with IoT devices very specifically in mind. With more than 371 million Bluetooth enabled devices shipping by 2020, they've been very aware of the needs of small, connected devices with limited battery capacity when developing the standard.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Not true. Bluetooth 4.0 increased speed which meant LESS battery drain as information can be sent faster which requires shorter transmission bursts.

Unlike LTE which does take more power than 3G, faster Bluetooth speeds have meant less battery usage. If battery usage is the same for both old and new, but you can transfer a file in 1/10th the time with the new higher speed protocol, you save a lot of battery life by only transmitting for 1/10th the time.

Bluetooth 5 was designed with IoT devices very specifically in mind. With more than 371 million Bluetooth enabled devices shipping by 2020, they've been very aware of the needs of small, connected devices with limited battery capacity when developing the standard.

I hope you are right.

I don't like Bluetooth technology one bit. I like my wires.

dalthicks

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2015
Loganville, GA
In order to take advantage of Bluetooth 5's new specs, will a device, for example a Bluetooth speaker, have to have Bluetooth 5 as well? Or will I have increased range and speed with all of my current Bluetooth devices, simply by having an iPhone 7?

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
Lossless wireless headphones, yes please. It's annoying that the iPhone hasn't supported AptX (and Mac has barely supported it).

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
In order to take advantage of Bluetooth 5's new specs, will a device, for example a Bluetooth speaker, have to have Bluetooth 5 as well? Or will I have increased range and speed with all of my current Bluetooth devices, simply by having an iPhone 7?

Yes, both devices must have Bluetooth 5 to take advantage of it, just as was the case with Bluetooth 4.0. It will be backwards compatible with older 4.0 devices but you won't see the added benefits of the new standard.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The iPhone 7 will feature Bluetooth 5. The new Bluetooth 5 quadruples range, doubles speed, and increases data broadcasting capacity by 800% over Bluetooth 4.0.

The iPhone 4S was the first smartphone to feature Bluetooth 4.0 and the MacBook Air and Mac mini were the first computers to get the technology shortly before the iPhone 4S release. The iPhone 7 will be the first to feature the new Bluetooth 5 (they've dropped the .0 from the name).

I'm definitely buying the new iPhone if this is true. I also hope Apple updates its range of Beats products to take full advantage of these new technologies.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014

Based on actual information from friends at Apple.

Looks like OP needs a new source at Apple... :rolleyes:;):p

http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/
All models
802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO
Bluetooth 4.2 wireless technology
NFC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.