Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcesar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Hello everyone.

I've bought an Iphone 7 (iOS 10.3.3) less than a month ago. I really love the phone and everything though after the first week I noticed how the bottom part behind the home button starts get warm after using it for 10 minutes.

Spotify + bluetooth headset causes this, browsing on 9gag.com/facebook, play heavy games like Dokkan Battle.

After returning to the home screen the temperatures get stable again in minutes. Temperature outside is like 30 Celsius/ 84 F, using the phone most of time with 4g connection, when with Wi-Fi it seems it gets less hot still warm though. Went to a certified apple vendor and told me the battery/phone is fine. When the phone gets warm the battery starts draining fast, at times 1% per minute. Closing all the app before going to sleep with 100% battery, 8 hours of sleep and in the morning the phone is at 92%.

Did already the factory reset with recovery from Itunes.

It is normal that it gets warmer in that part? Or it a sign of a device I should ask to change?

Many thanks

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
When using CPU intensive apps and screen backlighting you phone will get warm. There is no fan and this is how the device sheds it's heat. Even with all apps closed, your phone will use the battery.

blackcesar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
When using CPU intensive apps and screen backlighting you phone will get warm. There is no fan and this is how the device sheds it's heat. Even with all apps closed, your phone will use the battery.

Many thanks for the quick reply. I'm just curious to know if that's a problem or simply that's how the Iphone 7 works. I've owned an Iphone 5 for 4 years and the only time I had the bottom part getting warm it was because of the battery was going mad but for using the same app as I'm using now it was pretty chilled.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Many thanks for the quick reply. I'm just curious to know if that's a problem or simply that's how the Iphone 7 works. I've owned an Iphone 5 for 4 years and the only time I had the bottom part getting warm it was because of the battery was going mad but for using the same app as I'm using now it was pretty chilled.

I am betting your game/app plays better on the 7 than it did on your 5. If it only heats up when playing the games, you are good. Resist playing and see how long the battery lasts. Plug it in a bedtime and it will be ready when you get up.

dimitricook

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
It is totaly normal to heat up like that. Especially when it its 30 degrees celcius. Also the battery drain is normal and nothin to worry about. Just try not to charge the phone when you are using it intensively, that can harm the device. Even if you get the temprature warning screen there is not much to worry about.

blackcesar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
I am betting your game/app plays better on the 7 than it did on your 5. If it only heats up when playing the games, you are good. Resist playing and see how long the battery lasts. Plug it in a bedtime and it will be ready when you get up.

It is totaly normal to heat up like that. Especially when it its 30 degrees celcius. Also the battery drain is normal and nothin to worry about. Just try not to charge the phone when you are using it intensively, that can harm the device. Even if you get the temprature warning screen there is not much to worry about.

Thanks. I'm really happy with the Iphone 7, I think is a great device, but since I can still return it and get another one I've just wanted to know if it makes sense or I'm just overacting for nothing.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.