Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strydertortois

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG

So ive had my iphone 7 leather midnight blue case for about 2 months and i got this deep scratch that for some reason shows up brown in sunlight, is there any explanation for this? And do you think it will darken over time just like the rest of the case and eventually blend in?

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Well, keep in mind that the leather itself is actually brown underneath the blue dye. My guess is that the scratch you mentioned either went down past the dye layer, or thinned the dye to a point where the untreated leather shows through. Hard to say what will happen in the future, but I would guess that the brown you see will get darker as you handle the case.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
It looks to me like a stain or burn. Do you smoke if so, looks like a spark or something landed on it.

Well, keep in mind that the leather itself is actually brown underneath the blue dye. My guess is that the scratch you mentioned either went down past the dye layer, or thinned the dye to a point where the untreated leather shows through. Hard to say what will happen in the future, but I would guess that the brown you see will get darker as you handle the case.

And umm No

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I would bring it to the Apple Store and ask for a replacement. They even let me exchange a Product Red leather case for a black because I didn't like the 'patina' look. It's worth a try.

Strydertortois

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
It looks to me like a stain or burn. Do you smoke if so, looks like a spark or something landed on it.

And umm No
No i dont smoke, it was just a scratch that i made with my fingernail when i was picking it up, i just thought it was weird that their was brown under it cuz i would think they would dye all the leather not just the outside

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
No i dont smoke, it was just a scratch that i made with my fingernail when i was picking it up, i just thought it was weird that their was brown under it cuz i would think they would dye all the leather not just the outside
The leather is dyed all the way through. So it very weird a fingernail scratch would change the color. I've gotten plenty of scratched Shallow and deep on mine and never had a discoloration. They will usually blend in.

Strydertortois

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
I would bring it to the Apple Store and ask for a replacement. They even let me exchange a Product Red leather case for a black because I didn't like the 'patina' look. It's worth a try.
Ive only had mine for around 20 days, do you think they would still replace it? And did you have to show a recipt to get it replaced?
[doublepost=1500510305][/doublepost]
The leather is dyed all the way through. So it very weird a fingernail scratch would change the color. I've gotten plenty of scratched Shallow and deep on mine and never had a discoloration. They will usually blend in.
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, ive only had mine for around 20 days so i wonder if apple would replace it, if so im probably going to get the black one because it doesnt show wear as much

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Ive only had mine for around 20 days, do you think they would still replace it? And did you have to show a recipt to get it replaced?
[doublepost=1500510305][/doublepost]
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, ive only had mine for around 20 days so i wonder if apple would replace it, if so im probably going to get the black one because it doesnt show wear as much
I had mine way longer than 20 days. No receipt needed.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Sweet im gonna go tommorow hopefully i can get it swapped
Good luck. They may use the words 'one-time exception,' but I've had at least 3 one-time exceptions.
Bring the box and receipt if you have them. It makes the trade a lot easier. I've done exchanges with and without. With is always better.

Strydertortois

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
Good luck. They may use the words 'one-time exception,' but I've had at least 3 one-time exceptions.
Bring the box and receipt if you have them. It makes the trade a lot easier. I've done exchanges with and without. With is always better.
Yeah i got my iphone 7 replaced fairly easily because it got stuck in a boot loop, so it shouldnt be to hard, i think apple sent the recipt to the wrong email which sucks but i have the box, so hopefully i can get it replaced, do you still have your black leather case? If so has it held up well? Cuz im trying to decide on a color

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Yeah i got my iphone 7 replaced fairly easily because it got stuck in a boot loop, so it shouldnt be to hard, i think apple sent the recipt to the wrong email which sucks but i have the box, so hopefully i can get it replaced, do you still have your black leather case? If so has it held up well? Cuz im trying to decide on a color
I still have the black case. It's held up pretty well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.