Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiiDsmKR69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
hey guys.

So I've had this iPhone 7 plus since launch day. The biggest reason for upgrading was that iim travelling through Europe and wanted a good camera. (Without buying a DSLR etc)

I've noticed when taking pictures or filming video at night, there is a random dot reflected into the picture. This is only present when taking pictures that include intense (or the glow from) sources of light.

Included is a picture / video for reference. I know I'm pointing the lens at a lightbulb but it's intended to exaggerate it for this post.

Have to say, it's annoying. It's not as bad in photos but the majority of videos I've taken have this problem and you can spot it out a mile away.

Possible defect? Do others have this?

Attachments

• IMG_9393.JPG
    IMG_9393.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,684

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
did you wipe off the camera to clear out any dust / smudges that would catch the light?

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
I noticed this last night with my iPhone 7, was taking pictures at night indoors. My phone is not encased and i made sure to wipe the lens with a microfiber cloth, those reflective dots were still there.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Check if there is any dust trapped under the camera lens that you can't wipe away.

mediaones

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
I actually have the same problem with the dot on my 7 Plus. Under the same circumstances as well.

plncrzy

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
The dot is a result of the optics in the camera. The bright light hits the lenses and creates the artifact. It's called a lens flare.
I wonder if this could be fixed with a variable aperature some day.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
The dot is a result of the optics in the camera. The bright light hits the lenses and creates the artifact. It's called a lens flare.
I wonder if this could be fixed with a variable aperature some day.
that's no lens flare. the lens flare is coming off the lamp itself. the UFO in the OP's pic with the arrow pointing to it is the object in question.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
that's no lens flare. the lens flare is coming off the lamp itself. the UFO in the OP's pic with the arrow pointing to it is the object in question.

It's not uncommon, it's some sort of artifact created by reflection of some sort. I got the same thing with my camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.