Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayobonus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Hey all! Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the new Beats Solo 3 Wireless/W1 Chip and their iPhone 7. I just bought the Solo 3's a few days ago. The ease of pairing is unbelievable, and the ease of switching between iPhone and iPad is a huge plus. However, I do have a problem with connectivity. After watching YouTube reviews and reading the comments on this thread, it looks like people are getting unbelievable range and connectivity out of their headphones.

I actually already exchanged my first pair of Solo 3's because of connectivity issues. My first pair would have a drop out/blip here and there while walking. I work in NYC so I walk a lot, and I noticed that audio would drop out here and there. Strangely enough, I noticed that the audio would really drop out after I lock my phone and put it in my pocket. Drop outs would also occur once I get to my desk at work and sit down. Even the replacement pair I got does this same exact thing.

I also did a range test where I left my phone inside the house and I took out the garbage. I probably got around 50-60 feet away from where I left my phone before the audio completely dropped out (as in I never heard music again until I walked closer). Audio even cuts out when I'm sitting at my desk at work with my phone less than two feet away from me. I understand that these are Class 1 Bluetooth headphones, and supposedly get up to 300 feet of range, but I'm not even getting anything close to that. I think I'll be going back to the Apple Store for another replacement. Do you guys think I'm just getting duds? Conversely, I also have a pair of QC35s and I have never had a problem with audio dropping out at all (even while walking in NYC). Thanks!

tl;dr: Connectivity issues with new Beats Solo 3 Wireless while walking/leaving phone in another room. Been through 2 pairs, same issues. However online reviews have documented people having no connecitivty issues at all even if the phone is left in another room. Bose QC35's have no connectivity issues.

Camato

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Germany
Using my beats solo 3 at work with my iPhone 6 Plus currently. I am still waiting for my iPhone 7 Plus to arrive. I don't have any connectivity issues at all. My range is incredible. Can walk to the coffee machine (20 to 30 steps away) while listening to Musik, but arrived there, sometimes it began to struggle.

Today I also noticed an unclear sound, but it was resolved by pressing play pause.

ayobonus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Thanks for the feedback! I just wonder if it's an issue with the headphones because some YouTube reviews I have watched, they have stated that they were in a completely different part of their house and the connection wouldn't drop at all. This is going through multiple walls and floors. I also know one YouTube review where someone walked like a hundred feet away with no issues - granted it was outside with no obstacles blocking the connection.

ayobonus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Update: Replaced the Solo3 with a third pair. This third pair (first two were matte black, third one is glossy black) hasn't really had any issues. I heard two brief blips this morning while walking to work in NYC, but nothing compared to the first two. I'll continue to use it and see if the audio drops. Also will have to do a range test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.