Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snipples89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
So I'm after the 256GB Jet Black 7 Plus (yes, I know, probably one of the most elusive phones on the planet right now) and I ultimately would want to get it on the Upgrade Program. Unfortunately, because it can't be pre-ordered in any way through the IUP, I have to wait until it's back in stock in a store and then attempt to reserve it... which means, I can't even join the ever-increasing queue to get the phone. (Basically, I'm impatient.)

My question is, what would people suggest:
  • Keep trying to order using the IUP page and pray it will appear sometime in the next month or two - I've seen some appear on istocknow in Zurich, Basel and today in Geneva and I'm praying that one may make its way to London...
  • Buy it outright on Apple.com, KNOW that I've got one even though I won't see it until November, return it, then immediately ask them to sell it back to me through the IUP (although I'd rather not have to put the £919 on the ol' credit card, despite getting it back...)
Anyone who's done it the second way, I'm hoping it's been a relatively smooth process?

Thank you :)

AwareDen

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
UK
I would go with the second way, unless you're really lucky to find one. From what i've seen they refund you the money on your card there and then in the store and start the IUP.

Keep an eye on the reservations, you never know. Keep your order you can always cancel if you find one in store. I think you physically keep the same phone you just get a refund and start the payment plan.

snipples89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I would go with the second way, unless you're really lucky to find one. From what i've seen they refund you the money on your card there and then in the store and start the IUP.

Keep an eye on the reservations, you never know. Keep your order you can always cancel if you find one in store. I think you physically keep the same phone you just get a refund and start the payment plan.

I just might do that. Like you said, I can always cancel. Plus, I get to join the queue, at least. Thanks for your reply :)

AwareDen

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
UK
Yeah just wait and see, stock isn't great this year, I remember the rose gold last year was in steady stock a few weeks after launch. I ordered my JB 7+ only a few days ago for 'November' dispatch so I'm happy to wait just keeping an eye on the reservations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.