Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I have been fighting with this every since I got my iPhone 7 Plus on day one.

I'm having a big problem where when ever I made a phone call I can hear the person on the other end just fine but they have a hard time hearing me, the call will constantly break up. It will break up so bad they can't understand anything that I am saying but I can hear them just fine, it's not breaking up at all on my end.

This is only when on a regular phone call, if I make a FaceTime audio call its perfect no issues or use a 3rd party app like Skype no problem.

I have been though 4 phones and 2 carriers (Verizon and AT&T) while still having the same issue. I have moved once so its not a area thing.

If I call up the carrier they have no idea what to do. I have tried restores, fresh iOS install and brand new phone. But can not get away from this issue.

Has anyone had this or have an idea on a fix?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Does it do it for every caller?
The other person has a problem hearing you said? So not you.
Have you tested calling land lines, and different carriers cellphones? Does it do it only when you call AT&T people or Sprint for example.
Troubleshoot it further and try to isolate it.
You're sure its not the other persons fault the ones that they cannot hear you?

Reactions: jpiszcz

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
When you make calls in another location (away from home) does it work okay?

Yep, I had moved from north Florida to South Florida and have the same issue, happens inside my house, outside my house and every other place I go. I've ended up just calling most people on FaceTime Audio or over Skype, but it doesn't solve the problem because I get more calls then I make. This is such an odd issue.

Does it do it for every caller?
The other person has a problem hearing you said? So not you.
Have you tested calling land lines, and different carriers cellphones? Does it do it only when you call AT&T people or Sprint for example.
Troubleshoot it further and try to isolate it.
You're sure its not the other persons fault the ones that they cannot hear you?

Yes its the same for every caller, even the carrier. I can call a cell phone. a land line a call center like Comcast for example. All I get it "I can't understand what you said the line is breaking up".

pcunite

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
My wife's phone, iPhone 7 Plus, seems to be having this issue. Prior to Turning off LTE (Settings/Cellular/Cellular Data Options) she only had two bars. When turned off she has four and five. Audio quality was very muffled. I rebooted the phone and it seemed to help after turning off LTE. Will continue to test.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
My wife's phone, iPhone 7 Plus, seems to be having this issue. Prior to Turning off LTE (Settings/Cellular/Cellular Data Options) she only had two bars. When turned off she has four and five. Audio quality was very muffled. I rebooted the phone and it seemed to help after turning off LTE. Will continue to test.
How are things going with your wife's iPhone 7 since you changed some of the settings on her phone? Is she still getting 4 bars with the LTE off?

Thank you!

pcunite

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
How are things going with your wife's iPhone 7 since you changed some of the settings on her phone? Is she still getting 4 bars with the LTE off?

Well, there is no "fix" persay, because the iPhone 7 has a hardware/sofware fault with the back mic. However, I was able to work around it. I turned Enable LTE back on (Voice & Data), and "Phone Noise Cancellation" back on - this is the default I think.

Putting a small piece of tape over the back mic really helped. So, I switched her case to a Speck Presidio type case (vs. her folder "cover" type) and removed the tape. That has enabled the phone to work without issue.

Reactions: determined09
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.