Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rednocturne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Just received my iPhone 7 Plus from Best Buy last week. Already sent my iPhone 6 back to Verizon for credit. Just noticed a scratch right in the middle of the wide angle camera lens. I've only had the phone for a few days, in a case from day one, so it was definitely scratched from the factory.

Now I'm debating whether to try for an exchange or not. I don't want to be stuck without a phone.

Edit: After doing some testing, it doesn't appear to have any affect on the image quality or create any noticeable artifacts in photos. Might just live with it rather than risking getting a replacement with more issues.

Reactions: Tortri

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That sucks. If you have an Apple Store nearby, might be worth having them swap it out (make a reservation for the Genius Bar). At least you'd be able to check out your replacement phone before leaving the store.

Reactions: willmtaylor

rednocturne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Have you tried shooting with sunlight hitting the lens at multiple angles? Lens flare seems to come up here, so just curious as to any increase in flare with scratches.
Tried exactly this and I didn't notice any discernible difference or increase due to the scratch. I might just live with it if it's not causing any noticeable decrease in image quality.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
So much for all the Apple defenders in the sapphire thread claiming it doesnt matter. Turns out it does matter.

Reactions: rednocturne

rednocturne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Good to hear.
In case you're curious, another test I performed was I opened the camera and shined a bright flashlight into the lens. Looking through the viewer on-screen, I moved the flashlight around at multiple angles to see if I could discern any flare or artifacts seemingly generated by the scratch. Came up with nothing, so I'm fairly certain at this point that the scratch is either just out of the lens's view or simply doesn't affect image quality.

I'm just going to keep the phone rather than risk swapping it out for a phone with more serious issues.

Reactions: Steve686

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
So much for all the Apple defenders in the sapphire thread claiming it doesnt matter. Turns out it does matter.

Except OP just finished saying it doesn't impact picture quality, so apparently it doesn't.

rednocturne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
One scratch.....probably not deep or wide.
Definitely not deep or wide. Hardly noticeable honestly.

I do have some concerns for long term durability of the lens cover on the 7 and 7 plus after this though. Only time will tell about that though I suppose.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I appreciate your willing attitude to keep the device. But if you received it with a scratch, then return it. That's not acceptable. I understand you may have to wait for a
New device, it might be worth the wait.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
No, anything to shut off the endless stream of complaining and whining that is all you post on this forum.

Can you refute a single point I've made? At some point you'll just have to admit the emperor has no clothes. Apple is made up of people just like anyone else. And they'll only do whatever it takes to keep the checks coming. I doubt youd put up with a scratched lens on a samsung phone, so why would you give Apple a pass? You shouldn't.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Can you refute a single point I've made? At some point you'll just have to admit the emperor has no clothes. Apple is made up of people just like anyone else. And they'll only do whatever it takes to keep the checks coming. I doubt youd put up with a scratched lens on a samsung phone, so why would you give Apple a pass? You shouldn't.

Oh my god, there's ~one~ person out of millions reporting a scratched lens out of the box, stop the presses!

Seriously, all you do is complain about Apple. Do yourself a favour and switch rather than stick with a product you obviously feel is inferior. I don't particularly care whether people use iOS or not, I do care if they endlessly clutter up Apple forums with their incessant complaining.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Oh my god, there's ~one~ person out of millions reporting a scratched lens out of the box, stop the presses!

Seriously, all you do is complain about Apple. Do yourself a favour and switch rather than stick with a product you obviously feel is inferior. I don't particularly care whether people use iOS or not, I do care if they endlessly clutter up Apple forums with their incessant complaining.

I'm fine with my 6S, thanks. The QC on the 7 is terrible, and many phones have more than one issue. This lens being scratched is just evidence that weak sapphire is an issue. It's an issue on all iPhones, but add it to the list of 10 other things the 7 sucks at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.