Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it bad for my iPhone 7 plus

• Total voters

kankan7175

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
I have a smart charger that charges my iPhone 5s with 1 amp and the same charger charges my iPhone 7 plus with 2 amps, is this bad for my battery because the standard charger is only 1 amp.

leesweet

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
This comes up EVERY year. You can charge any Apple device with any 5 V DC charger. 5 Volts is the pressure, 2 Amps, etc., is the LIMIT of what the charger can produce. The device will take what it wants to charge. If you search, you will find tons of threads on this...

More:

The standard iPhone charger is what it is because it's cheap and gets the job done. The iPad charger is larger because it needs to be. (Have you ever SEEN an iPad battery(ies)?). The iPhone charger takes forever to charge an iPad. Either are technically fine for either device, it's a matter of time. The battery *may* get a little warmer with more current inrush, but (1) it doesn't really matter and (2) if it matters after a few years, who still has their device then? :)

andragon

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
I have a smart charger that charges my iPhone 5s with 1 amp and the same charger charges my iPhone 7 plus with 2 amps, is this bad for my battery because the standard charger is only 1 amp.

You can charge your iPhone with 2 Amps charger without any issue. As previously stated, battery is protected from overcharging, so it will take only as much as it can handle.
You can measure the actual amount it can take by using a free app: Amperes Lite.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amperes-lite-battery-charging/id1253789580?mt=8

You will see then how much are you getting with one charger or another.
Btw...quality of your charging wire matters as well. Cheep wire might reduce your charging speed, so its a good idea to check it as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.