Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielleerena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
So the first photo is from my iPhone 6, the second is from my 7 plus. Look at the loss of detail on the shirt and the hair! I've tried seeing if anyone else has this problem and I can't find anything. It also obviously has a yellowish color as well, which is also a defect in the auto white balance too. Am I the only one with a defective camera, or is this how it's actually supposed to take photos?

xzbUPZE.jpg
eQlwJ1O.jpg

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
The focus is on different areas. You focused on the hand in the 7 picture. Try to place focus on the same area.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
You might be right, the 7 picture looks slightly more "grainy". I'd try to look at multiple pictures in different lighting. If it is a concern, I'd return it as you have 14 days to return I believe.

Stereo

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
The 7 does have a 1.8f aperture lens, which is better in low light but can narrow down the focus point.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
The 7 does have a 1.8f aperture lens, which is better in low light but can narrow down the focus point.
This makes sense. The more that I look at the second comparison, I'm thinking the focal point is different again. If you look at the ear on both pictures, it's clearer on the 7. However if you look more towards the head/hair, it's clearer on the 6. I'd say take some pictures from further away instead of macro shots and you might find a different outcome.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
How long have you had the phone for?

The first two days I was taking pictures of my son indoors and they were really grainy. Since the third day I've been getting great pics on my 7 plus. I don't know if the camera takes time to settle but my pictures dramatically improved.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Take your phone back and replace it. If you're focussing on the same parts and that's still happening on your 7 take it back. My plus camera is perfect minus the stupid buzzing noise in the video recording

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Are you using the default camera app? It looks like in the 7 images, a lot of NR (noise reduction) is being applied which smoothes out the photo but can result in a less sharp image. I prefer the 6 look with sharper details and more noise.

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Danielle I had the same issue. My 7+ photos were grainy and not sharp compared to my 6+. I wound up returning my phone altogether, but Apple did offer to replace it for me. I just didn't want to get caught in the loop.

Applenoob34

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
Focus points are definitely different. Like others stated. The first shot the 7 is focusing on the hand. The second shot the focus is on the ear on the 7. If you were manually trying to focus on the same spot then one of them isn't working right

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.