Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kanyehameha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
king's landing
Regarding the new portrait mode in the iPhone 7 Plus, do you guys think that Apple will eventually allow users to use the regular wide angle lens for the depth of field effect? The only reason I think why they're choosing to use the telephoto lens for the effect atm is that:

i). the telephoto lens does produce some bokeh of its own for objects that are slightly far away, and the portrait effect adds to this, meaning that the resulting bokeh is a kombination of real and fake bokeh - making the final photo look more natural than if the blur effect was to be entirely computer generated.
ii). the telephoto lens allows the outline of the subject of the image to be more easily defined (since the subject appears larger due to the 2x zoom), thus allowing the background to be easily blurred by software.

i hope that, over time, Apple will be able to apply the same depth mapping technology they already use for the portrait mode but allow us to use the wide angle lens to take the picture since the wide angle lens has a larger aperture and is more suitable for night time/low light shots. For example, portrait mode pictures taken in dimly lit restaurants would have much less noise (due to a lower ISO being required) and appear brighter than if they were to be taken using the telephoto lens.

So what do you guys think? Do you think that, over time, Apple will bring the feature over to the wide angle lens? (p.s. sorry for the kinda long post :p :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.