Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jas57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I pre ordered the iPhone 7 plus jet black however it says: 'Payment action required: We are unable to obtain an authorisation for your order. Please ensure your card provider is aware of your order, as we will continue to seek authorisation. Please update your payment method to continue with this order.'.

I have tried with multiple cards, one debit, one credit, and I get the same error for both. I have contacted my bank and they say there have been multiple £0 charges that were authorised successfully so it is no their end. I also called apple and they said to call my bank so that did not help. Anyone had a similar issue and did you get it resolved?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
I had the same error on my second iPhone I ordered because it was the exact same amount charged to my card as the first iPhone that was approved. It was flagged as fraud and declined. The order gave me that same notice and I was able to move through the steps they give you to update payment info, I used a different card and notified the creditor that the charge was coming and that I approve it. A day later (today) the order moved to preparing to ship and my card was charged.

thaotran

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
My problem is I tried to input multiple cards but it still doesn't work. When I check the iphone app, it shows processing items again (no more "Payment action required") even though in the website it shows unable to authorize credit card. Weird???? And now I refresh the app, it shows processing items just like in the app. I'm beyond confused now!!!??? Will try to call Apple tomorrow.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My problem is I tried to input multiple cards but it still doesn't work. When I check the iphone app, it shows processing items again (no more "Payment action required") even though in the website it shows unable to authorize credit card. Weird???? And now I refresh the app, it shows processing items just like in the app. I'm beyond confused now!!!??? Will try to call Apple tomorrow.
You need to contact your bank and get them to authorise it. I had the same thing on Friday. When I was on the phone to my bank waiting to speak to someone my bank sent me a text asking me to confirm the transaction. After I confirmed via SMS the payment went through no problems. My order changed to preparing for shipment a few hours later. If after speaking to your bank you still can't get it authorised you need to speak to Apple and ask them to re-enter the card details over the phone. It's fraud prevention.

Edit: if you status has changed back to processing I'd log into your online banking just to check that it's not in your pending charges before you contact your bank. If you can see it in your pending charges then in means the payment went through and everything is fine.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
Call the number on the card. It's likely been flagged as a fraud payment. I just went though this. I bought too many things too quickly. Once I approved the charges with my bank, I went back in the app, the app redirected me to apple's website, then I retried the payment. It went though. Easy Peasy.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I had this problem last year with Chase. I had to call chase and they said the problem was on Apple's end and not with them. So I cancel the order and made a new order and it got through. No problems this year.

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
This happens likely when you use this card with Apple Store for the first time.
Apple team will hold and release that amount.
When you're able to verify your identity, then you need another full credit to complete the order, because the first released amount hasn't been credited back to your card yet, it usually takes 10-14 days to have that credit back to your card

thaotran

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
Thank you guys for the suggestions. So I called my bank and they said the first transaction was declined because of security reason. But now if Apple try to charge me again, it will be ok.
I also called Apple, they said yesterday I did input a credit card number (yesterday it didn't allow me to do so). This credit card is the same as the one in my Apple Pay and they are reviewing it again.
Should I be worried this time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.