Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigsegv

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
San Francisco
With the iPhone 6 battery issues I thought I was safe with my iPhone 7, but in the past week I've had 3 unexpected shutdowns on IOS 11.2.2

It goes like this: took the phone off the charger, caught up with the headlines (just plain web - no video), dropped the kids at school, returned home and continued looking at the last article I was reading...

The screen goes black and I just assume it's the auto-sleep, but no - there's no click on the home button. The phone is dead, just like that.

Power on the phone, it comes up. I check the battery and it is at 93% charge. The phone is not hot, and there are no indoor/outdoor temperature extremes in my location.

This is my third iPhone 7 under Applecare. I had two replacements last October (unrelated faults) so this phone is 3 months old. This is the first time I've seen the issue recur in a short space of time.

Could just be a statistical anomaly, but I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this with a 7.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This could well be a statistical anomally. Do you have access to a Mac with Coconut Battery installed? If so, connect your iPhone to your Mac to check the battery charge cycles and wear level.

sigsegv

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
San Francisco
connect your iPhone to your Mac to check the battery charge cycles and wear level.

Full charge capacity 1922 mAh
Design capacity 1960 mAh
Cycle count 87

Looks like the battery is only 2% down from design capacity. Cycle count is higher than I'd expect given the age of the phone.

It's a pity that these things hide all the diagnostic data that may or may not be recorded about these events. I'm referring to the information that Apple asks for consent to collect; I'd like to see that for my device.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Then there is something wrong with the device itself. With 87 cycles, that battery should [not] have the type of issues that you are experiencing.

Last edited:

xboxbml

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Then there is something wrong with the device itself. With 87 cycles, that battery should have the type of issues that you are experiencing.

I’m assuming you meant should NOT have the types of issues?..

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Then there is something wrong with the device itself. With 87 cycles, that battery should [not] have the type of issues that you are experiencing.

Agree that that seems likely. My iPhone 7 is roughly 15 months old and has approximately the same battery stats as your phone.

I would try a two-button reset, if you haven't. You could also try a DFU restore (make an archived backup first.) Or you could take the phone to an Apple store for a look. Is the phone still under warranty by any chance?

sigsegv

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
San Francisco
The phone is a replacement under AppleCare - should be covered until around the end of this year.

I never checked the battery cycles when they gave me this phone, but based upon current stats I'm assuming it wasn't 100% new. It was a Genius Bar replacement.

I'll give it a little more time before bringing it in to a store or DFU restore. The last shutdown was Monday morning so it has gone 4 days without dying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.