Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you care about the iPhone 7 being waterproof?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

JacksonCraig94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
Derbyshire, UK
I see so many people wanting the iPhone 7 to be waterproof whilst I'm here thinking why?? I just don't get why everyone wants it to be waterproof. If you can't leave your phone in a safe place whilst showering/ swimming etc then what is wrong with you? I never take my phone in the bathroom or leave it near my hot tub. I just leave it either in my bedroom, kitchen or a good distance from my hot tub. The only reason i would want it to be waterproof is if i accidentally got splashes on my phone. SPLASHES! I wouldn't dream of using my phone in the shower/hot tub even if it was waterproof.

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
First place the iPhone 7 is water resistant, not waterproof. Yes I'm interested in the iPhone 7 Plus. I'm a photographer for various charities, mainly American Cancer Society, and all there outdoor events are must do events, which means short of lightining or extreme high winds they are held rain or shine. That means I'm out there usually with a Nikon D5 with a rain cape on the camera body and lens. Having a weather resistant phone in my pocket is one less thing I have to worry about.

Reactions: ABC5S

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
For me it would be a good feature to have available in case some accident occurs.
But not a major selling point or something I would buy the phone for. I never had a need for water resistance or got my iphones wet.
I can see it now all these people will go buy the iphone 7 and start taking it in the shower, pool and all kinds of craziness and pushing it to the limits like that and then be upset at Apple because it stopped working.
It's going to be lots of fun for many Apple reps dealing with entitled people that ruined their devices and expect Apple to be replacing them for free.
Good times ahead, get ready MacRumors:D

BLUEBLASTER

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
I see so many people wanting the iPhone 7 to be waterproof whilst I'm here thinking why?? I just don't get why everyone wants it to be waterproof. If you can't leave your phone in a safe place whilst showering/ swimming etc then what is wrong with you? I never take my phone in the bathroom or leave it near my hot tub. I just leave it either in my bedroom, kitchen or a good distance from my hot tub. The only reason i would want it to be waterproof is if i accidentally got splashes on my phone. SPLASHES! I wouldn't dream of using my phone in the shower/hot tub even if it was waterproof.

I agree with what you are saying but if it is I will use it to facetime people in the bath and shower.

Reactions: JacksonCraig94

JacksonCraig94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
Derbyshire, UK
For me it would be a good feature to have available in case some accident occurs.
But not a major selling point or something I would buy the phone for. I never had a need for water resistance or got my iphones wet.
I can see it now all these people will go buy the iphone 7 and start taking it in the shower, pool and all kinds of craziness and pushing it to the limits like that and then be upset at Apple because it stopped working.
It's going to be lots of fun for many Apple reps dealing with entitled people that ruined their devices and expect Apple to be replacing them for free.
Good times ahead, get ready MacRumors:D
I totally agree with you! I wouldn't buy the phone because it's water resistant but it is good just incase a accident happens but i feel like people are going crazy over the iPhone 7 being water resistant. I'm just like "Okay, its water resistant. Whats the big deal" haha!

Reactions: Applejuiced

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Having dropped my beloved iPhone 4 in a toilet mere days after release, I can see a potential benefit to this feature.

(By some strange miracle it lived and, except being renamed the "pPhone" by my brother in law, it suffered no further consequence)

Reactions: JacksonCraig94

azfalcons

Suspended
Sep 29, 2014
Valley of the sun
I think it is a huge selling point. You may never need to use it but that one time it happens you'll be glad it's water resistant. With whag we pay for these phones all of them should be water resistant

Mindbender14

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
I hike and backpack a lot. Sometimes it rains or I cross a stream or creek. It'd be nice to not have to lock my phone in a bulky waterproof case while taking photos or video. So yes, it's a huge deal for me.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm definitely excited about the iPhone 7 (potentially if the rumour is true) having IPX7 water resistance. No it's not because I want to shower or go swimming with my iPhone. Since I work as an environmental scientist my job often takes me to remote locations, usually around water and sometime in the pouring rain. While I always take steps to protect my phone it would be nice to not have to worry about it so much...

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Who cares why people want the phone? If water resistance is something that somebody gets excited for, more power to them. Not everybody has the same features they want in a phone, and that's okay.

Same thing for people who want the new iPhone because of a new color. If that compels them to buy it, then great. Personal preference is a beautiful thing.

Anyway, water resistance is just another way to make the iPhone more hardy. Strengthened aluminum, cover glass, and now water resistance just helps the iPhone become more durable.

DadBod630

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015

God I just hope the camera really is good so you can take some more narcissistic pictures of yourself

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo

Humidity, hurricanes, idiots that spill drinks at dinner, unexpected hose downs at concerts, bad practical jokes with water, flight attendants with shaky hands, snowboarding, camouflaged swimming pools, drunk hos in clubs, and the list goes on....

It's pretty much for us who actually do things and live our lives without trying to baby a piece of technology and shelter it from the world like most kids are while growing up nowadays.

I spend a lot of my free time scuba diving and having an ipx7 rated phone is a huge plus.
[doublepost=1473148264][/doublepost]
it's helpful if you get caught in the rain, or drop it in a puddle by mistake.
Dude. You live like 12 feet below sea level in NOLA. This reason enough, alone.

Voodoo is coming up and I've seen many a phone destroyed in those 3 days.

Dandandan65

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
Australia
I think a water resistant iPhone is a good idea. Sure you may not see a need for it but if its just a feature which is the next natural step in the cycle of the product then why not, it sure can't make people go against the iPhone.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

Yes, because those places you've listed are the only places your phone could get wet…

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

Maybe you should get out of the house a little bit more :) Especially in the UK you might find some other use cases for a water resistant phone quite quickly :D

Reactions: Azzin

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
I work outside (mailman) and I also am a runner. So i'm outside a lot. I've never had an issue with other iPhones in regards to water penetrating the iPhones but it'd be nice to not have to worry about it if it was raining or I wanted to take pics of the kids playing at a local splash park.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Despite what Apple says tomorrow, it's not going to be fully waterproof. IPX7 is a great start but for those who are clumsy or around water a lot, your still going to need to be careful.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
Its not a deal breaker for me, but I care. I jog a lot and don't feel like caring if its raining for my phone. Also its simple things like having it on the counter and someone spills something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.