Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PO2345

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Houston
Hi all:

I have been on a 6 that I have had since launch & I plan on upgrading this week. I like size/feel of the 6, so I'm going with the 8. I like the XS too, but it is just to pricy for me. I held the XR in hand & if it was the 6/7/8 size, I'd be buying that.

Nonetheless, here is my question. If a buy a new 8, is the battery going to be fine? I have heard friends tell me that since the phone was produced sometime ago, the battery is deteriorating as time goes by as it sits in the box.

Is this something valid? Or I'm a fine with a purchase for this model? Thanks.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Is there anyway i can ask when it was produced at the Apple Store? Also, so there is validity to the statements i wrote?

Somewhere on the internet is a German chipmunk serial decoder that will tell you the production date based on the serial number, but don't expect the people at the store to hang around waiting for you to pop a serial number from the box into an obscure website.

You don't need to worry, even if it's been sitting around a bit, the battery will be fine. Worst case, you check the health (please don't come here starting another "OMG my 6 month old phone only has 99% battery health!!" thread like so many others have...) and if it's bad, you have 14 days to return it.

Reactions: PO2345

PO2345

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Houston
Battery health can be a concern if the item has been sitting in a box for a year or two. That's not really a concern for iPhone 8.

You can decode the manufacture date based on the serial number.

https://beetstech.com/blog/decode-meaning-behind-apple-serial-number

The first part of your statement is why i was told that. The 8 released in Fall 2017, so people are assuming I will be buying from that production batch, which could or wont be true.

Thanks for the link too.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
The first part of your statement is why i was told that. The 8 released in Fall 2017, so people are assuming I will be buying from that production batch, which could or wont be true.

Thanks for the link too.

Almost zero chance you'll be buying a phone produced longer than 4-6 months ago, probably 1-2.

Reactions: PO2345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.