Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Does anyone know if the modem in the iPhone 8, unlocked, Apple store version is still being made with the Qualcomm modem (for the US market)?

I know in Germany, Apple was forced to use the Intel modem for all the iPhone 8 devices, but I'm not sure if that applies here in the US.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple was forced to use Qualcomm in Germany as a workaround for the import ban.

Apple uses purely Intel in the U.S.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008

Do you know when they switched to all intel in the us? Specifically for the iPhone 8. I have the Qualcomm version of that phone. Was looking to buy another directly from Apple (unlocked). Based on what you are saying, a new iPhone 8, purchased in the US, for use on a CDMA carrier (Verizon) will be sporting an Intel modem?

You are correct about Germany. Got my facts reversed.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014

Did this change at some point or is only true for some carriers? My Verizon 8+ is Qualcomm. Purchased in the US.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Do you know when they switched to all intel in the us? Specifically for the iPhone 8. I have the Qualcomm version of that phone. Was looking to buy another directly from Apple (unlocked). Based on what you are saying, a new iPhone 8, purchased in the US, for use on a CDMA carrier (Verizon) will be sporting an Intel modem?

You are correct about Germany. Got my facts reversed.

Did this change at some point or is only true for some carriers? My Verizon 8+ is Qualcomm. Purchased in the US.

Sorry, I was thinking of the 2018 iPhones when I said Apple uses only Intel.

As far as I know, the iPhone 8 in the U.S. continues to use Qualcomm for CDMA models.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.