Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adracul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2018
After watching this video:

I find it unbelievable that the Iphone 8 Plus (with a higher battery health percentage) now performs worse than the Iphone X. When the Iphone 8 Plus first launched along with the X a lot of sites claimed that the Iphone 8 Plus had a better battery life than the Iphone X. For example: https://www.cnet.com/news/battery-l...omparing-iphone-8-iphone-8-plus-and-iphone-x/

Is anyone else having issues with the Iphone 8 Plus on IOS 13 compared to older versions?

Reactions: arfbsantoso

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I too was worried about this, but updated straight to 13.1.2 and so far the battery life had been about the same as ios 12 on my iphone 8 plus, which is to say very good. The only annoying thing was that i had to update my apple watch series 1 to properly sync with ios 13, which took about 1 hr and a half to complete!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
My experience with iOS 13.1.2 on my 8 (not the plus) has been much better. I admit though that I only use my phone for calls and messages.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iOS 13 is still experiencing its growing pains. Weird stuff about it should get ironed out in the following months with new updates. Patience.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
It’s fine on mine, but I wouldn’t call it great. People had such low expectations before the XR and now the 11 pros, because the 6/6s/7 all had TERRIBLE battery life.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
After watching this video:

I find it unbelievable that the Iphone 8 Plus (with a higher battery health percentage) now performs worse than the Iphone X. When the Iphone 8 Plus first launched along with the X a lot of sites claimed that the Iphone 8 Plus had a better battery life than the Iphone X. For example: https://www.cnet.com/news/battery-l...omparing-iphone-8-iphone-8-plus-and-iphone-x/

Is anyone else having issues with the Iphone 8 Plus on IOS 13 compared to older versions?

Anecdotally, my 8+ seems to be having a little shorter battery life than before. It was worse on iOS 13, seems to have improved a little with 13.1, but still poorer compared to iOS 12.

On average, I will say that it seems to be consuming an extra 10-20% of battery life. I used to be able to comfortably end a typical work day at 30-40%. Now, I charge it for a while in the middle of the day just to be safe.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Anecdotally, my 8+ seems to be having a little shorter battery life than before. It was worse on iOS 13, seems to have improved a little with 13.1, but still poorer compared to iOS 12.

On average, I will say that it seems to be consuming an extra 10-20% of battery life. I used to be able to comfortably end a typical work day at 30-40%. Now, I charge it for a while in the middle of the day just to be safe.
Before i updated from ios 12.4 straight to ios 13.1.2 my battery’s max capacity went from 94% to 91%!!! Thats 3% degradation just from installing new version of ios, which obviously will affect the overall battery performance. However dark mode seems to prolong my 8 plus battery as currently at 59% after about 18 hours since last charge.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Before i updated from ios 12.4 straight to ios 13.1.2 my battery’s max capacity went from 94% to 91%!!! Thats 3% degradation just from installing new version of ios, which obviously will affect the overall battery performance. However dark mode seems to prolong my 8 plus battery as currently at 59% after about 18 hours since last charge.

You have to wonder just how accurate the battery health indicator is. I charge my 8+ wirelessly every night, and for the first year, observed as the health dropped from 100% to 90%. It then stayed at 90% for the second year.

Dark mode shouldn’t have an impact on LCD displays, but maybe the screen doesn’t need to be as bright for the text to be readable?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
You have to wonder just how accurate the battery health indicator is. I charge my 8+ wirelessly every night, and for the first year, observed as the health dropped from 100% to 90%. It then stayed at 90% for the second year.

Dark mode shouldn’t have an impact on LCD displays, but maybe the screen doesn’t need to be as bright for the text to be readable?
Yes thats pretty much it, the screen is dimmed somewhat in darkmode and on lcd screens this may help the battery a bit. You should consider getting a new battery for your 8 plus if its at 90%, especially if you want to keep it going for another year or so at peak performance. Gonna change mine next month probably as love my 8 plus, such a solid phone to use!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yes thats pretty much it, the screen is dimmed somewhat in darkmode and on lcd screens this may help the battery a bit. You should consider getting a new battery for your 8 plus if its at 90%, especially if you want to keep it going for another year or so at peak performance. Gonna change mine next month probably as love my 8 plus, such a solid phone to use!

A fresh battery swap is definitely on the cards. Will I be able to get my phone back on the same day if I get it done at the Apple store?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
A fresh battery swap is definitely on the cards. Will I be able to get my phone back on the same day if I get it done at the Apple store?
You should be able to get it back within a couple of hours at the apple store. I live in the UK and i recently changed the battery on my older iphone 6s plus with a reputable store called ‘ismash’ and they did it within 2 hours including changing the screen which was cracked.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Dark modes not going to make a difference using LCD as the whole screen is back-lit whatever the colour displayed.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It’s fine on mine, but I wouldn’t call it great. People had such low expectations before the XR and now the 11 pros, because the 6/6s/7 all had TERRIBLE battery life.
I don’t think that the 6/6s/7 had terrible battery life, if and only if we take into account their performance on original iOS versions. When updated they plummeted, but when they were new, battery life was pretty decent. Also, the plus’ battery life on original versions was insane.
Maybe I am a lighter user than most people, that’s why I consider them good, but my 6s and a friend’s 7 on iOS 9 and 10 respectively, got a decent 8 hours of usage pretty consistently. Maybe 7 if pushed a little, but they were miles ahead of, say, the 5s. The 7 plus got 10-12 hours easily on iOS 10, and people were really happy with the 6+’ battery when it launched.
I believe the iPhone’s battery started to be good with the 6+, and it has remained pretty constant until the Xʀ. Why do you think that they were terrible?

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
The wife's 8+ ran fine during the whole 2 weeks it was on iOS 13 before we upgraded devices.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I don’t think that the 6/6s/7 had terrible battery life, if and only if we take into account their performance on original iOS versions. When updated they plummeted, but when they were new, battery life was pretty decent. Also, the plus’ battery life on original versions was insane.
Maybe I am a lighter user than most people, that’s why I consider them good, but my 6s and a friend’s 7 on iOS 9 and 10 respectively, got a decent 8 hours of usage pretty consistently. Maybe 7 if pushed a little, but they were miles ahead of, say, the 5s. The 7 plus got 10-12 hours easily on iOS 10, and people were really happy with the 6+’ battery when it launched.
I believe the iPhone’s battery started to be good with the 6+, and it has remained pretty constant until the Xʀ. Why do you think that they were terrible?
The non-plus is under 2000mah. It's pretty much impossible to have decent battery life with that. Light users were ok, but if you used your phone a lot you would not have any choice but to charge at some point during the day.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The non-plus is under 2000mah. It's pretty much impossible to have decent battery life with that. Light users were ok, but if you used your phone a lot you would not have any choice but to charge at some point during the day.
Yeah, I’d reckon that for very heavy users it wouldn’t be enough. You’re right. Especially if used in a place with poor signal. It would drop to, what, 5 hours? Definitely not enough for a heavy user, especially considering that pre-iOS 12 usage wasn’t all on-screen time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.