Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gazmac2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Picked myself up an iPhone 8 Plus the other day and went shopping for a case on Saturday after deciding that I couldn't go naked with this phone. Popped into the local Apple Store to see what they had and went for one of the Otterbox Statement cases.

While on the way out, I had a play with one of the demo iPhones and was surprised by how many light scratches appeared on the front of the phone.

I've never felt the need to have a screen protector on any of my iPhones before and the last one I'd kept for 3 years (iPhone 6 Plus). Looking at the screen now and it hardly has any scratches on it at all. Nothing like what I saw in the Apple Store on what at worst is a 2 and a bit month old iPhone 8 Plus.

So is the quality of the latest phone screens not as good as the iPhone 6 and are the screens made to a lower standard now?

After seeing this I went straight back downstairs and had them fit the Belkin screen protector to my new phone. Didn't want to risk it.

Thoughts...

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Picked myself up an iPhone 8 Plus the other day and went shopping for a case on Saturday after deciding that I couldn't go naked with this phone. Popped into the local Apple Store to see what they had and went for one of the Otterbox Statement cases.

While on the way out, I had a play with one of the demo iPhones and was surprised by how many light scratches appeared on the front of the phone.

I've never felt the need to have a screen protector on any of my iPhones before and the last one I'd kept for 3 years (iPhone 6 Plus). Looking at the screen now and it hardly has any scratches on it at all. Nothing like what I saw in the Apple Store on what at worst is a 2 and a bit month old iPhone 8 Plus.

So is the quality of the latest phone screens not as good as the iPhone 6 and are the screens made to a lower standard now?

After seeing this I went straight back downstairs and had them fit the Belkin screen protector to my new phone. Didn't want to risk it.

Thoughts...

I have an 9 Plus with an Apple Silicone case and no scratches here. Had it since launch day and it lives in my pockets.

Side note: Apple cases are the best! :)

torontosportsfan

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2016
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Personally speaking the day I got my 8 Plus at the Apple Store I also purchased the Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra Screen Protector to be on the safe side. Now I also had it when I owned a 6s and that's because prior to getting it for my 6s I dropped it at a McDonalds and the screen cracked and not having the screen protector must have played a factor.

I also use it along with the official Apple Black Leather Case and with that specific one the screen protector is not noticeable from the distance unless you are looking for it.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It was the same way for my 7 Plus. The bezels they introduced on the 7 and 8 acquire micro-scratches extremely easily. It's not the screen necessarily, but the large chins on the phone. I thought this would be an issue with the X, but it hasn't happened as it's mostly screen.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
For what it is worth, I do not keep keys and other items in the same pocket I keep my phone in.....

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah, display devices are a bad idea. First, a ton of customers play with them. Second, the customers don't own the device so they don't have to really take care of it.

I saw a kid with an obvious mental disability walk into the local Apple Store, grab the iPhone X display, yell "Hey Siri!" at it about 6 times, bang it against the table because it wasn't working, and then drop it back on the table.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Nil
[doublepost=1511993649][/doublepost]
Yeah, display devices are a bad idea. First, a ton of customers play with them. Second, the customers don't own the device so they don't have to really take care of it.

I saw a kid with an obvious mental disability walk into the local Apple Store, grab the iPhone X display, yell "Hey Siri!" at it about 6 times, bang it against the table because it wasn't working, and then drop it back on the table.
Macrumors will do that to you!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A demo device is equivalent to almost one year of use within one week with hundreds of individuals handling it. Some even intentionally damage them to see how durable they are. So demo models are not indicative of how an iPhone actually would look for somebody else that takes care of their iPhone on a daily basis.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
It’s no different than any previous iPhone.
Think about how many people use those display phones. No need to be paranoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.