Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
This happens enough times to be really annoying, but sometimes when I unlock my iPhone 8 Plus, the home screen rotates to landscape even though it's not in a landscape orientation. It forces me to hold the phone up straight to get it back to standard. I can't really reproduce it. It seems to just happen at random. Anyone else have this bug? Obviously I could lock the screen orientation but then I'd have to unlock it every time I want to watch a video, which would probably be more annoying. This is with iOS 11.1.2, although it happened in previous versions too.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
I keep mine of screen lock to prevent it from going to landscape. Go into control center and pick the icon with the circle with the lock in the center.

Applenoob34

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
This happens enough times to be really annoying, but sometimes when I unlock my iPhone 8 Plus, the home screen rotates to landscape even though it's not in a landscape orientation. It forces me to hold the phone up straight to get it back to standard. I can't really reproduce it. It seems to just happen at random. Anyone else have this bug? Obviously I could lock the screen orientation but then I'd have to unlock it every time I want to watch a video, which would probably be more annoying. This is with iOS 11.1.2, although it happened in previous versions too.
As soon as I updated to iOS 11, I immediately noticed the same problem. Every time I brought my phone out of my pocket it would jump to landscape and back to portrait when phone was brought up to vertical. It was very annoying. I haven’t notic3d it with the X though.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
This happened when I first got the phone but I think some of the updates have helped with this issue. I've probably gotten it once or twice in the past 2 months.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This happened to me on iOS 10 as well. It was as bad as those ridiculous animations Apple forces you to wait through until you can do anything useful on your iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.