Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borismoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2017
The lightning port on my iPhone 8 Plus is unreliable when using headphones with the lightning-to-headphone adapter. When I'm listening to audio (music, movies, podcasts) using headphones, the lightning connection is easily broken such that the music will pause as if the adapter was pulled out of the port. This can happen if I accidentally hit the adapter, from the slight jolt when I drop my phone into my pocket, or sometimes when I'm walking quickly, as the phone bounces around my front pocket! It's a big phone, and my pocket is not that big, so it's not bouncing excessively.

Sometimes I can get the audio to restart again (through the headphones) by pressing play, but often, I will need to physically pull the adapter out of the lightning port and reinsert it. Occasionally, but rarely, the audio will resume playing through the speakers, even though the adapter is still plugged into the lightning port. It feels like the adapter is seated firmly.

The lightning port (or adapter) seems really sensitive, and this happens multiple times a day (listening for ~30 minutes a day). This is my first iPhone without a headphone port, so I'm not sure if this is the expected behavior. I don't see a lot of reports of this on the forums or on the internet, so either this is a completely common, or my phone (or adapter) is not working correctly.

The phone is new, and has always worked this way, so it's not likely due to debris collecting in the port.

Please let me know if this is working normally, or if I should try to take it back to the store. Thanks!

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
My 8 does not have these issue. Granted this is just my phone. Have you tried another adapter by any chance to rule out it just being the adapter?

borismoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2017
My 8 does not have these issue. Granted this is just my phone. Have you tried another adapter by any chance to rule out it just being the adapter?

I have not tried another adapter yet. It is good to know that this is not a common problem, so I will definitely need to look into getting this straightened out. Thanks for letting me know!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The adapters are not great, it seems. A defective one came with my 8 Plus, which I got replaced at an Apple store a few days later. No fuss no muss. No problems with the replacement.

ttforever

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Have you checked for dust in the lightning socket? I had exactly the same issue and got fluff out with a cocktail stick and never had an issue since!

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
It should almost audibly snap into place with a satisfactory click. These cost Apple $0.50 to make and will easily swap it out. Like someone else also posted, you might have lint in there. I cleaned out my iPhone 7+ ports a few months ago after a year of usage. Yuck is the right word to use.

borismoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2017
Looking deeper into this, I found that these interruptions do not happen with the lightning earbuds that came with the phone. Browsing through the review of the adaptor on Apple's website, other people are reporting similar symptoms there.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMX62AM/A/lightning-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter

Given the generally poor review of the adaptors, I'm not going to try buying another one (but may try to replace it like joeblow7777). In the meantime, I will start using the lightning earbuds instead. I'm glad this is working, but disappointed that I will not be able to use my favorite earbuds. :(

Thanks for all your insights! Hopefully, this thread will be useful for other people running into this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.