Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
hi everyone, so I had to restart my iPhone three times since the first time I got it, I set it up as a new iPhone and my iCloud photos didn’t back up properly, then the second one I restarted it again and erased everything and used my back up from my old phone, but it started lagging and freezing and even turning really hot around the upper body back of the camera! now I erased everything again for the third time and set it up as a new iPhone again hoping I didn’t harm it in any way from erasing and re erasing and reinstalling it all over again. My question is, is it bad for the phone to constantly erased and reinstalled / reset? and also was it normal that it got hot when it was downloading all my photos and data? I’ve never had an iPhone that turned hot like this before so I don’t know if it was normal. Thanks!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
No permanent damage will occur. It's heavy usage, that's all. I'd recommend being plugged in while you do this so you don't end up with a drained battery. I wouldn't worry bout it. As long as you aren't doing this on a daily basis for years, you're fine :). Definitely let it sit for awhile especially if you have a lot of data to sync.

Reactions: 44267547

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
No permanent damage will occur. It's heavy usage, that's all. I'd recommend being plugged in while you do this so you don't end up with a drained battery. I wouldn't worry bout it. As long as you aren't doing this on a daily basis for years, you're fine :). Definitely let it sit for awhile especially if you have a lot of data to sync.

Thanks so much!! But do you think the heating up is totally normal since it was uploading all my photos and data?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks so much!! But do you think the heating up is totally normal since it was uploading all my photos and data?

Yeah during CPU intensive tasks definitely normal for it to warm up - definitely when syncing data. I'd be totally ok with that. Now if I set my phone down (with nothing syncing) and 20 mins later came back to a burning hot phone - I'd be worried.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
To answer the main question: no, it's not bad to do a bunch of resets.

In terms of it running hot after restoring from backup - probably a bad setting you had in your old phone. Even though it's a phone, these processors are highly powerful and will get hot when being run hard. Additionally, your phone might have still been indexing and whatnot which is CPU intensive. Like BigMcGuire said, it's more indicative of a problem if your phone is just idling, not doing anything, and is running hot.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I see. Thanks so much for answering my questions!! Now I have a peace of mind and won’t have to worry lol. You guys are awesome!!!

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.