Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tony8plus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2018
I am getting conflicting info on using my iPhone 8 Plus I purchased from AT&T on Verizon. The model number i have is A1897. I have heard this model does not have all the bands used on Verizon even if it is unlocked. Do I need to sell this phone and buy a Verizon model or Apple unlocked model? Any info is appreciated.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Yep that is the GSM version with the Intel chipset. The Verizon version has a Qualcomm chipset. So if you are going to Verizon you probably would need to sell it and get one that fully support their network. I don't use Verizon so I don't know how much you need CDMA or if there are other LTE band missing.

Tony8plus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2018
Thanks, Apple and Verizon said I can switch over to Verizon but I’m seeing different online. Seeing it may be issue because of the chipset like you mentioned. Sucks I’m going to lose big because I just bought 2 of these a few months ago from AT&T but the service is not nearly as good as when I had Verizon so I want to switch back.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks, Apple and Verizon said I can switch over to Verizon but I’m seeing different online. Seeing it may be issue because of the chipset like you mentioned. Sucks I’m going to lose big because I just bought 2 of these a few months ago from AT&T but the service is not nearly as good as when I had Verizon so I want to switch back.
You might be able to switch and use LTE and VoLTE for calling, but wouldn't get 3G or lower if you are in an area that doesn't have LTE coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.