Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlimJimmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
Hello, guys I have a small question.

So I will go short on it. I need to replace my Iphone 8 motherboard. And I found a cheap replacement from my country. We have a shipping company that lets people test for 15 minutes what they are about to pay. So I need to be sure that the motherboard works and doesn't have I cloud. I can't disassemble and assembly the phone for 15 minutes.

My question is can I power up the iphone if I connect ONLY the battery with the motherboard, the charging board and the display and then plug it into my laptop with USB cable so it can power up without the power button?

Thanks!

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Yes you can, be sure that it comes with the corresponding Touch ID though, and test that also.

SlimJimmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
So you are saying that, the new motherboard won't work with my touch ID from my past motherboard ?

Stan__

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
The Universe
The logic and Touch ID are married together for each phone. Your Touch ID won’t work with new logic board. In order to work you need The Touch ID that is coming from the same phone that the board is coming from

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
And in case of the 7 and 8, not only the fingerprint reading part won't work, but neither the actual "button" function.

There are universal home buttons for the 7 and 8, but those only function as a capacitive button. (No force touch sense and fingerprint reading).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.