Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Long story short, I've had two iPhone 8s so far. The first one was super smooth where the glass met the steel band. I had to get that phone replaced and my new phone is really sharp on the sides and is really uncomfortable to hold in contrast to the previous device. Does anyone else's device have prominent edges on the sides? Or should I contact Apple and ask for a repair/replacement?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Long story short, I've had two iPhone 8s so far. The first one was super smooth where the glass met the steel band. I had to get that phone replaced and my new phone is really sharp on the sides and is really uncomfortable to hold in contrast to the previous device. Does anyone else's device have prominent edges on the sides? Or should I contact Apple and ask for a repair/replacement?

Why was your first iPhone replaced?

If you feel the second iPhone display isn't uniform or as it should be, return it for a new one.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Why was your first iPhone replaced?

If you feel the second iPhone display isn't uniform or as it should be, return it for a new one.

My pre-order as an iPhone upgrade failed and was told to do another pre-order as a non iPhone upgrade, but was then told that wasn't okay, so I had to ship that other phone back and get another device as a proper iPhone Upgrade.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I played with one in an Apple Store and was surprised that I could feel sharp edges where the glass meets aluminum. Had already ordered mine at that point, too late to cancel.

Mine arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised at the build quality. Completely smooth all around. My only complaint is the home button seems week even set to 3, though force touch on the dock icons is strong. Must be a software thing.

Reactions: djcraze

USF813

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Tampa
Jesus. I swear that I read some of the strangest things I have ever read on this website.

Yeah this site is OCD to another level. Sad really considering it’s just a phone. Perhaps waiting to buy at the store and inspecting the device before you leave is too much to ask for some.

Instead it’s send it back half a dozen times until the phone resembles a magic wand that picks its owner.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah this site is OCD to another level. Sad really considering it’s just a phone. Perhaps waiting to buy at the store and inspecting the device before you leave is too much to ask for some.

Instead it’s send it back half a dozen times until the phone resembles a magic wand that picks its owner.

When an item is mass produced into the millions, it can happen where someone can receive a defective device more than once. Ordering online and receiving at your home, is much more convenient than going to a store at times. And not to mention, not everybody has access to an Apple store or carrier that is near them, especially given unknown quantity a store might actually have at the time or model that someone is specifically looking for.

MC1763

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2017
I played with one in an Apple Store and was surprised that I could feel sharp edges where the glass meets aluminum. Had already ordered mine at that point, too late to cancel.

Mine arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised at the build quality. Completely smooth all around. My only complaint is the home button seems week even set to 3, though force touch on the dock icons is strong. Must be a software thing.

Force touch vibrates more toward the bottom of the phone because that’s where the Taptic Engine is located , chill with the OCD.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Force touch vibrates more toward the bottom of the phone because that’s where the Taptic Engine is located , chill with the OCD.
The home button is also located at the bottom of the phone, which is why it seemed odd that the home button feedback was weak but force touch was strong. I preferred the stronger home button feedback of my 7 Plus.

However, being the forum psychologist, you’ll be happy to know my OCD was cured by getting an iPhone X. I’ve found it to be an all around fantastic device.

Last edited:

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Not gonna lie.. had 3 8 Plus and all had areas where some extra glue was coming out of glass to aluminum areas. I just ‘cleaned’ with fingernail. I could see sharp edges happening with glass or aluminum not being well seated.

MC1763

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2017
The home button is also located at the bottom of the phone, which is why it seemed odd that the home button feedback was weak but force touch was strong. I preferred the stronger home button feedback of my 7 Plus.

However, being the forum psychologist, you’ll be happy to know my OCD was cured by getting an iPhone X. I’ve found it to be an all around fantastic device.
Home button being less strong was on purpose my friend, it feels more like a real button that way hence why it’s more sharp and sudden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.