Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks, I was literally about to make a post asking if anyone had any experience with 3rd party "fast" chargers with the 8, because I don't have the kahonies to try it myself.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I have a question about this:
I read somewhere that Apple has 3 USB C charging blocks available (didn’t check to confirm) and you’ll also need a special cable.
If the 3 exist what’s the difference in the 3? Is it speed of charge time?

Ngamtns706

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
Why does Apple make it a pita or impossible to get third party support for their devices?

Larrupin

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
California
I have a question about this:
I read somewhere that Apple has 3 USB C charging blocks available (didn’t check to confirm) and you’ll also need a special cable.
If the 3 exist what’s the difference in the 3? Is it speed of charge time?

Apple has 5w, 12w, and 29w power blocks. Not sure of the actual difference in speed but do know that, for instance, iPad needs at least 10w to charge so you get an error if you try to use the 5w.

Why does Apple make it a pita or impossible to get third party support for their devices?

My guess is they would say quality control. My other guess is it’s about making the most money possible. Poor broke Apple you know. Lol.

Reactions: Ngamtns706

blkmoon78

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
Apple has updated the support page, to confirm that any third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) can be used to fast charge the iPhone 8/X. Enjoy
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137

Edit: An official USB-C to Lightning cable is of course needed (third-party cable will not work)

YMMV, but i bought the USB-C apple brick and the usb-c lightning cable and tested 2 iphone 8+ with an anker usb-c charger and a 3rd party usb-c to lightning cable and the apple branded charger and cord beat it by 1%, so for me it looks like a third party cable may work.

Note: i didnt start from zero, i started from 45% which is where i typically start charging my phone and more relevant for me than starting at zero.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

nafizur

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
YMMV, but i bought the USB-C apple brick and the usb-c lightning cable and tested 2 iphone 8+ with an anker usb-c charger and a 3rd party usb-c to lightning cable and the apple branded charger and cord beat it by 1%, so for me it looks like a third party cable may work.

Note: i didnt start from zero, i started from 45% which is where i typically start charging my phone and more relevant for me than starting at zero.

I hear the official apple USB C to Lighning cable has a chip which slows down the charging and ampage as it gets closer to 100%.

Most of the 3rd party cables already states that fast charging is not supported. However, it might still work..

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Thanks, I was literally about to make a post asking if anyone had any experience with 3rd party "fast" chargers with the 8, because I don't have the kahonies to try it myself.

I just got one in the mail last week. (29w 3rd party) Ready for my iPhone X. I am acutualy using it on 7 plus and it charges it much faster. Also gets hotter. But I get from 10-50% in 35 min and from 10-100% in 110 min. So it does work for 7 models. Just not as fast!
[doublepost=1507100286][/doublepost]

It’s the phone battery that slows the speeds down after 80%. There isn’t any tech out there yet that can go up to 100% at the full speeds without killing ur battery..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.