Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoseRosy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Hi everyone,
I have been trying to backup my Iphone since I need to send it to repair of overheating issue.
My Iphone is 12 Promax, 256GB, using iOS 16.1.1. My used storage is around 180GB.
However, I tried for weeks (from iOS 15.7 version till now) by all methods I know but I can't get it back up.
1. ICloud - I upgraded ICloud storage to 200GB package but it took 10 days to finish back-up 86GB and stuck here forever.
2. Finder on Macbook - It can't start back up, stuck in preparing step
3. Itunes on Windows PC - It can't start back up, stuck in preparing step
4. Transfer to another Iphone 256GB with same iOS version - It can't start transferring, stuck in preparing step
My Iphone has many important data, espcially contacts, messages and photos, so I don't want to lose anything.
I felt very depressed and it has been taking lots of my time on it.
Even I called Apple Support, they can't give any feasible solutions.
Besides, my Iphone storage doesn't show correct used storage & the details of storage usage is loading foverer.
Can you please give me suggestions on this matter? Thanks so much,

Attachments

• z3905629945973_ad4064dad6fdf6ee51572ccb1029e2f2.jpg
    z3905629945973_ad4064dad6fdf6ee51572ccb1029e2f2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 152
  • z3905629948503_592b8dac53ef7a6ad2d71d03fa4307c8.jpg
    z3905629948503_592b8dac53ef7a6ad2d71d03fa4307c8.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 91
  • z3905629950732_e33544614d5ede67af9163c6dfa4dab5.jpg
    z3905629950732_e33544614d5ede67af9163c6dfa4dab5.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 82

scoresman903

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2022
Usually, only what has been changed is backed-up, so it should not be the entire 180 GB you are needing to back-up – unless it's a first time - and the back-up should not take too long if you are doing so regularly.

I wonder about your Internet connection's WiFi upload speed? If not fast, perhaps try while connected at a friend's house who has Gigabit service (or a work network; those are typically very fast).

If you have unlimited cellular data, perhaps enable "Back Up Over Cellular," particularly if you are leaving your home, a friend, or work network.

Another option would be to back up locally on a laptop or desk computer.

Here are Apple's instructions: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/back-up-iphone-iph3ecf67d29/ios

One last thought: perhaps the iCloud back-up is corrupt and you should delete, then start over. I'd call Apple to discuss before doing so. Here's their instructions: https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/view-and-manage-backups-mm122d3ef202/icloud

RoseRosy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Usually, only what has been changed is backed-up, so it should not be the entire 180 GB you are needing to back-up – unless it's a first time - and the back-up should not take too long if you are doing so regularly.

I wonder about your Internet connection's WiFi upload speed? If not fast, perhaps try while connected at a friend's house who has Gigabit service (or a work network; those are typically very fast).

If you have unlimited cellular data, perhaps enable "Back Up Over Cellular," particularly if you are leaving your home, a friend, or work network.

Another option would be to back up locally on a laptop or desk computer.

Here are Apple's instructions: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/back-up-iphone-iph3ecf67d29/ios

One last thought: perhaps the iCloud back-up is corrupt and you should delete, then start over. I'd call Apple to discuss before doing so. Here's their instructions: https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/view-and-manage-backups-mm122d3ef202/icloud
Thanks, I have tried other 3 Wifi connections but it still doesn't work 😭
And I have tried to back up locally on laptop and all methods aren't applicable for my Iphone 😢
The 1st time I backed up was 6 years ago with only 5GB iCloud.
Then when I changed to this Iphone, I transferred it directly from Iphone to Iphone.
I think there is some corruption in my data and apps, but I don't know exactly what they are and how to know and fix it 😓

scoresman903

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2022
I'd verify what items are currently enabled for iCloud (under Settings > iCloud > Apps Using iCloud > Show All).

Then log into icloud.com and check to see if all my photos, contacts, mail, and other items that I enabled on the phone were there. If so, that's good news / reassuring. For more info, check out: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428.

If it were me and while I have the old phone with its data / settings, I'd buy a new iPhone and attempt to activate / install data phone to phone. Then see if I could do an iCloud backup (this would be a new backup since it's a different device). If that failed, then activate / install via iCloud backup. Then try to do an iCloud backup. And sell /trade the old one after repair.

If you can't afford to do that, and since you can't otherwise back it up, perhaps it's time to go into the phone where do you manage your back ups (under Settings > iCloud > Device Backups > iCloud Backup), delete the backup, then try a new backup. The worst case is the same as where you currently are: you can't get an iCloud backup to complete.

If you can't get a backup to complete, and with the understanding you have all photos, email, contacts, and selected app data stored in iCloud, you could wipe the phone and do a install / fresh install without using a backup. I'd first write down all apps on paper; you'd have to manually install all apps (because while the iCloud backup doesn't actually include the apps themselves, it knows which ones need to be reinstalled) and redo your preferred settings. But logging into your Apple account would bring your photos, mail, and contacts into the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.