Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redmaciej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Europe
Hi all,

I think I found a pretty nasty bug in iPhone backup process. Please advise if anybody had a similar issue.

I had to send my iPhone 6 for a battery replacement so I wanted to make a full backup. I used iTunes on my MacBook and it asked me for a backup password - honestly, had no idea what it was. So I digged it up in my keychain and put it in - it worked! Even if it didn't work when I tried to remove it from the iPhone itself.

You can imagine how surprised I was when I tried to restore my phone from the backup but it rejected the password...

It's been 6 months of running Tenorshare iPhone Backup Unlocker on 2 computers simultaneously (thankfully I have a backup of iOS 8 too which gives 100k passwords/second speed, with iOS 10 its 20/min). So after 6 months... NO LUCK.

So it made me thinking...
  • is there any password at all? iTunes doesn't allow to leave it blank
  • why the hell did iTunes do encrypted backup if I put WRONG password - isn't it a nasty bug in Apple software?
I emailed Apple but got no answer, would like to do something about it as I lost precious data like I suppose plenty of other people...

Please advise what you think.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.