Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djuarez03

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I made a Genius Bar appointment for last Saturday to get my battery replaced on my iPhone 6. According to Apple's website, this was important to do in order so they could make sure they would have a battery reserved for me. But according to the Genius who helped me, they had just ran out of replacement batteries right before I came in for my appointment. So he told me they would email me later in the week once they got batteries in stock again. Yet, I'm still waiting for that email and it's been over a week already.

Is this what most people have been going through? I've heard they were backed up on replacements, but I was disappointed that making the Genius Bar appointment didn't actually guarantee you that they would have a battery for you. Now I'm just wondering how long it's actually taking to get your battery replaced.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
There is a shortage for batteries for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. I would suggest calling your Apple store daily to check if they have batteries on hand (stores usually get deliveries every day or every other day).

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
There is a shortage for batteries for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. I would suggest calling your Apple store daily to check if they have batteries on hand (stores usually get deliveries every day or every other day).

The Apple store in my area declined to discuss their inventory over the phone. They were adamant that I show up on a scheduled appointment before they were willing to talk. I guess all the mental anguish over these batteries has made Apple susceptible to HIPAA statutes!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

When you call an Apple store to verify quantity or stock of something, they don’t verify how much they actually have. It’s actually against their policy to do so. They can tell you if they have the item in stock, but they won’t tell you how many they actually have of what you’re looking for.

Last edited:

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I've been told that the stores actually prioritize walk ins before appointment holders, so if you don't make an appointment and just walk into the store you have as much chance of getting a battery as an appointment holder. Makes the whole system a little pointless if you ask me, what's the point of making an appointment if it doesn't actually hold a battery for you???

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Got battery replaced in 2 6s phones yesterday at Apple store in Brandon,Fl. Pretty painless process. Called apple support, they then reserved me 2 batteries. When the batteries came in to the local Apple store, a rep from the apple store called me to make appointments. I went in yesterday @ 11AM, had lunch at mall and both phones done around 1PM.

Only part I felt fishy was they needed to have my passcode for the phone, so no telling what they look at on your device. Of course they said they don't do anything other than a diagnostic test after battery replaced.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello. Montréal here. I asked for a replacement for my 6s 15 days ago. The replacement was made last Friday (Feb 9). Took 2 hours. Local Apple Store called me the day the battery was available and Apple also sent me an email. Very satisfied. No problems. No hassle. No discussion.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
I've been told that the stores actually prioritize walk ins before appointment holders, so if you don't make an appointment and just walk into the store you have as much chance of getting a battery as an appointment holder. Makes the whole system a little pointless if you ask me, what's the point of making an appointment if it doesn't actually hold a battery for you???

lol...that’s like Seinfeld and the rental car reservation..lol!

corlando465

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I actually went to Apple Store the day the battery replacement option was announced, as my 6+ was really slow with shortened battery life. The Genius did a diagnostic and said my phone qualified, but suggested that I wait until the replacement program officially started. So I made an appointment as soon as I was eligible. The day I was scheduled to go in, I received an email telling me to call the store. When I finally reached a person, I was told they didn’t have a battery available but would order one and hold it for me. One MONTH later, I finally got a call that my battery was in. Took phone in yesterday
And one hour, 45 minutes later it was finally replaced. Hoping to stretch my 6+ life for one more year before upgrading.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I actually went to Apple Store the day the battery replacement option was announced, as my 6+ was really slow with shortened battery life. The Genius did a diagnostic and said my phone qualified, but suggested that I wait until the replacement program officially started. So I made an appointment as soon as I was eligible. The day I was scheduled to go in, I received an email telling me to call the store. When I finally reached a person, I was told they didn’t have a battery available but would order one and hold it for me. One MONTH later, I finally got a call that my battery was in. Took phone in yesterday
And one hour, 45 minutes later it was finally replaced. Hoping to stretch my 6+ life for one more year before upgrading.

Did you wipe all your data from your iPhone before handing over the phone to the Apple store? Did you notice if the Apple store automatically upgrade your iOS or other software when you got your phone back?

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Did you wipe all your data from your iPhone before handing over the phone to the Apple store? Did you notice if the Apple store automatically upgrade your iOS or other software when you got your phone back?

If it can contribute to the conversation. Before going to AS, I did a full backup + I erased sensitive infos and pictures. The AS didn't perform any update or upgrade whatsoever. Back home, I charged the battery to 100% and updated to 11.2.5 via iTunes.

Reactions: mtneer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.