Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
First off, I have an obsession with batteries, I realize this. This thread won't apply to most users or users who use their phones normally. This is a hobby of mine, a weird hobby I know.

Just an observation. For my last 3 iPhones, I kept them plugged in most of their lives doing a 90%-100% on average. I'd end 1.5-1.8 years ownership with 230-250 cycles and maybe a loss of 3-6% battery capacity over the course of those almost 2 years (coconutBattery).

With my 8+ I thought, just for fun, I'd try a 40%-80% use for one month just to see what it would be like. So I turned on my battery % and purposefully tried to keep my phone between 40-80%.

Observations:
When charging my phone 90%-100% the requested current via the phone is tiny because it "trickle" charges the phone much more slowly after 80%. Thus the phone never ever got warm. However, charging 40%-80% the phone requests the full wattage available from my Anker chargers/batteries and gets "warm" to the touch (not hot, but noticeably warm). Also, over the course of the month, my design capacity went from 2744 mAh to 2727 mAh with this usage - biggest reason for my conclusion.

Conclusions:
I've had my phone for 1 month and I've come to the conclusion that I will resume my 90-100% (with most of its time at 100%) because the battery, although it remains at a high %, doesn't have to deal with the heat stress of 40-80%. I think this means longer battery life...

I guess in a perfect world, I could use a USB 2.0 port on a computer to charge my phone 40-80% but that's just too inconvenient. I think charging 90%-100% with a barely .30-1.5 watt trickle charge is less stress than charging full wattage 40-80% (not to mention a lot more inconvenient than just leaving it on the charger).

And yes, every now and then I'll take it down to 40% to keep the battery % reader accurate. I also realize this post is unnecessary for the majority of users but I thought I'd share my experience for those of us who love to obsess over our batteries.

My wife drains her 8+ iPhone to 20-40% every day with very heavy usage and her batteries are barely any different than mine even though they have 150-200 more cycles than mine and she hits 0% frequently. (She and I get the same phone and get new phones at the same time).

Last edited:
Reactions: Silent_Death_2

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
I drain my iPhone 6 to 9-10% daily then plug it in and use it while charging to 100%. I then unplug at the end of day, drain to about 70-80%, then plug in over night. I've had this pattern for years. While in use and charging, the phone gets hot. Not noticibly warm, but hot. So does the charger.

My phone has been perfect with no drastic run time losses until a couple months ago. Recently, I dropped it, and ever since then, battery life went to crap. And more recently still, I upgraded to iOS 11, and battery life has been virtually nonexistent. With nearly constant usage, I used to be able to go until 1:00pm without having to charge. Now, I'm lucky if I can make it to 10am. Where my phone would stay at 100% unplugged and not in use, it now drains just sitting idle by about 10% per hour.

I'm not sure if it was the drop, my battery abuse, or simply cycles to failure that caused the issues. I suspect it's a combination of the three. My phone is over three years old and has help up very well all things considered..

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Interesting write-up!

I pretty much do the same as Jjayf and I haven't had any issues with my battery.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.