Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
So i just received an iphone calendar spam invite for the first time (unless i have won a brand new iphone XS max). Im struggling to get rid of it.
I followed an online guide which was written in 2016 which says to create another "spam" calendar and move the invite to that newly created calendar and then delete that whole calendar, unfortunately that function to move the invite to another calendar is "greyed out" and nothing happens when i press it.

I have understood that one should not accept or decline a spam invite since it sends a message to the spammer that your account is an active one, and hence you will get more spam invites. I have also changed the calendar settings on the icloud website to not get any more of these invites to my calendar, but i want to get rid of this one that i already got.

I read something about deleting it from icloud in calendar there, but the invites are not visible in my calender on the icloud website, even though i have calendar turned on in the icloud settings on my computer and on my iphone.

And i don´t see a way to delete the invite directly from the calendar app on my iphone, no delete button like on normal events, and not possible to slide and delete.

Im using iOS 12.1 on my iphone.

Have i missed something here, or how do i delete this annoying spam invite.

EDIT: It seems the calendar which received the spam invite was a gmail calendar which is visible on my iphone and mac, probably thats why i dont see it in the icloud calendar. Anyway, i manage to report the invite as spam and delete it at the same time from my Google calendar website and then it also dissapeared from my iphone and mac calendar, i hope the spammer didnt get notified about the deletion?

Last edited:

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
So i just received an iphone calendar spam invite for the first time (unless i have won a brand new iphone XS max). Im struggling to get rid of it.
I followed an online guide which was written in 2016 which says to create another "spam" calendar and move the invite to that newly created calendar and then delete that whole calendar, unfortunately that function to move the invite to another calendar is "greyed out" and nothing happens when i press it.

I have understood that one should not accept or decline a spam invite since it sends a message to the spammer that your account is an active one, and hence you will get more spam invites. I have also changed the calendar settings on the icloud website to not get any more of these invites to my calendar, but i want to get rid of this one that i already got.

I read something about deleting it from icloud in calendar there, but the invites are not visible in my calender on the icloud website, even though i have calendar turned on in the icloud settings on my computer and on my iphone.

And i don´t see a way to delete the invite directly from the calendar app on my iphone, no delete button like on normal events, and not possible to slide and delete.

Im using iOS 12.1 on my iphone.

Have i missed something here, or how do i delete this annoying spam invite.

EDIT: It seems the calendar which received the spam invite was a gmail calendar which is visible on my iphone and mac, probably thats why i dont see it in the icloud calendar. Anyway, i manage to report the invite as spam and delete it at the same time from my Google calendar website and then it also dissapeared from my iphone and mac calendar, i hope the spammer didnt get notified about the deletion?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...ite-spam-on-your-iphone-ipad-and-mac.amp.html

The best option, however, is to disable this automatic invitation parsing altogether. Because iCloud handles the behavior for incoming email, you have to make the change at the iCloud website:

Go to your iCloud Calendar page via a desktop browser. (Apple doesn’t allow you to use iCloud.com via mobile Safari.)
Click the gear icon in the lower-left corner.
Select Preferences.
Click the Advanced icon.
In the Invitations section, change the option from In-App Notifications to Email to iCloud Address.

If you have outstanding invitations that you can’t delete after making that change, follow these steps:

Via iCloud, iOS Calendar, or any calendar app in macOS, create a “spam” calendar.
Assign the invitation to the spam calendar without clicking Accept, Decline, or Maybe.
Delete the spam calendar. Click the Delete and Don’t Notify buttons when prompted.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Thanks for your answer, i did change the setting to "Email" invitations instead of in-app invitations.
But like i wrote in my post the option to transfer the invite to the newly created Spam calendar was greyed out, i.e, not possible to move it over.

I later found out that the reason why i could not move it over was probably because the invite was not sent to an iCloud email address but instead to my Gmail (which is visible in my Apple calendars).
So what i had to do was to log in to my Gmail calendar on my Google account and delete the invite from there, at that point it also disappeared from all Apple calendars.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thanks for your answer, i did change the setting to "Email" invitations instead of in-app invitations.
But like i wrote in my post the option to transfer the invite to the newly created Spam calendar was greyed out, i.e, not possible to move it over.

I later found out that the reason why i could not move it over was probably because the invite was not sent to an iCloud email address but instead to my Gmail (which is visible in my Apple calendars).
So what i had to do was to log in to my Gmail calendar on my Google account and delete the invite from there, at that point it also disappeared from all Apple calendars.

You were hit too huh? I got this last week also (entire week was filled with this)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-calendar-spammed-iphone-max-is-here.2195260/

Yeah this was the evil default Gmail/Google setting that invaded my phone, iMac and iPad! I unsynced all Google related nonsense from my iDevices. Yep, like you said...as soon as I did that, all "invites" were suddenly gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.