Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kringlelikechris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2017
My iPhone Camera Roll has over 70,000 pics/vids that were somehow synced from my Photos app.
Mind you this phone is only 64GB. Hell no it can fit all those files in there. I don't know how or why it took all my pics and vids from my Photos app from my iMac, but it definitely slows down my phone.

Also when I connect my iPhone into Photos app (iMac), it says there's "No Photos" to import, when clearly I have new photos to import. Why is this doing that?

FullSizeRender.jpg

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
My iPhone Camera Roll has over 70,000 pics/vids that were somehow synced from my Photos app.
Mind you this phone is only 64GB. Hell no it can fit all those files in there. I don't know how or why it took all my pics and vids from my Photos app from my iMac, but it definitely slows down my phone.

Also when I connect my iPhone into Photos app (iMac), it says there's "No Photos" to import, when clearly I have new photos to import. Why is this doing that?

View attachment 716262
I suspect you have iCloud tuned on for Photos. All your iPhone is doing is syncing the database onto your iPhone. IOS will manage the size of the Photos library on your device. It keeps small images - when you bring up a photo from the app it will download a larger size so it's clear, editable, etc. If you check the size of Photos on the iPhone - it's size will not be all that large. Also, since you are syncing when on wi-fi - there are no Photos to import - they should have been synced and already be in Photos on your iMac and in the cloud. Suggest you read up on Photos here: https://support.apple.com/photos Once your Photos are totally replicated on your iPhone it will not use much CPU.

Last edited:

kringlelikechris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2017
I suspect you have iCloud tuned on for Photos. All your iPhone is doing is syncing the database onto your iPhone. IOS will manage the size of the Photos library on your device. It keeps small images - when you bring up a photo from the app it will download a larger size so it's clear, editable, etc. If you check the size of Photos on the iPhone - it's size will not be all that large. Also, since you are syncing when on wi-fi - there are no Photos to import - they should have been synced and already be in Photos on your iMac and in the cloud. Suggest you read up on Photos here: https://support.apple.com/photos Once your Photos are totally replicated on your iPhone it will not use much CPU.

Thank you for your feedback. What do I do to remove the files from my phone and to stop it from syncing thru wifi?

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
Thank you for your feedback. What do I do to remove the files from my phone and to stop it from syncing thru wifi?
You could do that - but if you already have an iCloud account with storage your Photos have full sized images stored there. It provides your Photos backup to your iMac. And, as you take a photo on your iPhone it automatically uploads to the iCloud Photos - which, in turn, syncs to your iMac.

Think very hard about this before you disable it.

Look at Settings | Apple ID (at the top) | iCloud | Photos. See the space you are using and the options that are set. You could turn it off - but, I wouldn't. For 200GB of storage - which holds a lot of photos - I think it's about $3/month.

Last edited:

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I switched to mac and it's the worst I've seen when it comes to managing photos/videos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.