Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
My partner is trying to email my (non apple) email from his iphone. While he can email other people when he tries to email me he gets the message "The recipient XXXX was rejected by the server". I have checked with my host (inmotion) and they say the problem isn't their side and the email doesn't reach my server. I have looked and his smtp authentication appears to be on.

Any suggestions, please?

Tarar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Hi, I am not sure about wifi. He has tried from a couple of different locations, but it may have been through wifi. The rejection happens every time, even though he can email other people or email my email from his apple email. Thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Hi, I am not sure about wifi. He has tried from a couple of different locations, but it may have been through wifi. The rejection happens every time, even though he can email other people or email my email from his apple email. Thanks

Many times it's difficult to pinpoint this kind of issue. Every server, between his iPhone and your email host, looks at the email and can reject it for one reason or another.

Is your partner's email domain the same as yours?

Tarar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
No it's not his email is through a 1and1 domain and mine has just been moved to inmotion (it previously worked when it was hosted with Siteground). Thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Unless the full body of the returned email has some sort of clue in it (it probably doesn't) you may never figure out why this occurs or if it's because of his email situation or yours. Your email host has changed, his hasn't, and messages shouldn't be blocked because of where they're going...but who knows?

A workaround until, hopefully, this is resolved could be for you to set up a Gmail account that forwards to your current email. He could CC that address on emails to you. If you current email is, for instance, tarar@mydomain.com you could try to get tarar.mydomain@gmail.com to make things easy to remember.

Tarar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Hi, it's the same from his iphone and ipad. I will get him to try from his Mac later to see if he has the same problem.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Hi, it's the same from his iphone and ipad. I will get him to try from his Mac later to see if he has the same problem.

And a windows PC using different wifi networks; home vs starbucks.

Otherwise, HE is the one that will have to contact his email provider and submit an issue ticket.

Also, make your self a new email account using his email provider and email your self.

Tarar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
We haven't got a windows pc, but could try a couple of different wifi networks. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.