Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I switched from Samsung to iPhone SE. I did this because I heard people telling IOS is really stable. Yet after using the phone for one month I often get this:

1. App store search doesn't work (after typing the name of app and hitting "search" nothing happens). Solution - restart the phone.

2. Camera "video" button sometimes is missing. Solution - restart the phone.

3. New apps don't install, older apps don't update (indication icon keep spinning forever). Solution - restart the phone.

I keep reading many have the same problems.

Please tell me this is an exception rather than the rule...

Reactions: smacrumon

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I switched from Samsung to iPhone SE. I did this because I heard people telling IOS is really stable. Yet after using the phone for one month I often get this:

1. App store search doesn't work (after typing the name of app and hitting "search" nothing happens). Solution - restart the phone.

3. New apps don't install, older apps don't update (indication icon keep spinning forever). Solution - restart the phone.

You are definitely the exception and not the rule. I would try restoring your phone and setting it up as new. Something is definitely corrupt. I have not experienced any of those issues with any of my 8 iPhones.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I've owned 3 iPhones using various versions of iOS over the years. Other than apps occasionally apparently getting stuck while updating, which usually resolves itself, I've experienced no such problems. I've found iOS to be very stable and reliable.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have the App Store do that on occasion. Switching tabs on the bottom than researching seems to fix it. If not closing the app and reopening it always does.

When you say video doesn't appear are you using the Apple camera app or a 3rd party app?

Next time apps are spinning and not updating close the app. Put the phone in airplane mode than back on. I'm curious if there is a network problem be it wifi or cellular.

Edit just realized my AppStore search issue is with my iPad which has a different layout for searching than an iPhone.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Do you have the latest version of iOS? Early on, iOS9 was quite buggy for me, and yes, stability can be an issue. However, since then Apple has patched it multiple times that it is running fine now.

Ben777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I bought my iPhone in official iDeal store. I always buy new devices (no blaming previous owners this way ;)).

iOS version: 9.3.2

I am using Apple camera.

All mentioned problems get solved by restarting the phone. All mentioned problems happen time form the time. Video button disappearing happened just once. I found others complaining about the same...

Thanks for the advises, input and encouraging :)

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

The only issue of this list that I've had occur is the app update issue. It has happened twice on 9.3.2 and required a restart each time to get the app to update correctly. Hopefully 9.3.3 won't have this issue.

The other issues I've never had.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Yep, I've experienced number 1 and number 2 on your list even with a fresh clean install.
[doublepost=1468972631][/doublepost]Further Safari spontaneously quits on my iphone and sometimes on ipad. ios isn't perfect but I think it has a cohesive feel to it overall.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
I bought my iPhone in official iDeal store. I always buy new devices (no blaming previous owners this way ;)).

iOS version: 9.3.2

I am using Apple camera.

All mentioned problems get solved by restarting the phone. All mentioned problems happen time form the time. Video button disappearing happened just once. I found others complaining about the same...

Thanks for the advises, input and encouraging :)
Do you jailbreak your phone?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I

I have exactly the same problem (iphone/ipad and both have ios 9.3.2) this is very annoying!

The solution is, however, easier. Just close the appstore: click your home button twice, swipe the appstore card away. Now open appstore and search should work again for awhile.

Appstore has been really slow lately. But if the app is installed, cancel it and do above.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
The App Store issue has been with me since my iPhone 6 with iOS8 days. Very annoying. Just have to cancel and restart. Sorts the issue. That app is not stable at all!

Ben777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I have exactly the same problem (iphone/ipad and both have ios 9.3.2) this is very annoying!

The solution is, however, easier. Just close the appstore: click your home button twice, swipe the appstore card away. Now open appstore and search should work again for awhile.

Thanks, I will try that! :)

Do you jailbreak your phone?

No. Phone is fresh, never used before, right from the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.