Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

The Bag™ - When you bought an iPhone on launch day, you got to carry it out of the store in this sweet cardboard bag.

Peeking - the iPhone box, and AT&T Service Plans brochure peeking out.

I swear I hear "Also Sprach Zarathustra" in my head right now...

Cingular - er, AT&T service plan brochure, printed by Apple, or at least printed to Apple's documentation specifications.

Pricey - Those plans aren't at all cheap by today's standards! And the phone wasn't subsidized, either.

Not Cheap - I was not the the actual "purchaser" on day one. A friend was waiting in line at the Apple Store, and I went down (with no plans on coming home with an iPhone) to bring him some food and make fun of him for waiting in line for 10 hours for a phone. But, right before he went in, he said "they're letting everyone in line buy up to two - want one?" So I said "Sure." He bought them both, and I paid him for one of them. A year later, when the iPhone 3G came out, he upgraded, and I bought his original iPhone off him for my wife. He threw in the bag.

For those that don't recall, the iPhone was $599 at launch. No carrier subsidy, yet you had to agree to a 2-year contract! Slightly over two months later, Apple dropped the price to $399. Amid huge uproar, they then refunded all earlier purchasers the $200 difference.

Isometric - The Box™

Slab o' Glass, under cardboard.

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City

The Bag™ - When you bought an iPhone on launch day, you got to carry it out of the store in this sweet cardboard bag.

Peeking - the iPhone box, and AT&T Service Plans brochure peeking out.

I swear I hear "Also Sprach Zarathustra" in my head right now...

Cingular - er, AT&T service plan brochure, printed by Apple, or at least printed to Apple's documentation specifications.

Pricey - Those plans aren't at all cheap by today's standards! And the phone wasn't subsidized, either.

Not Cheap - I was not the the actual "purchaser" on day one. A friend was waiting in line at the Apple Store, and I went down (with no plans on coming home with an iPhone) to bring him some food and make fun of him for waiting in line for 10 hours for a phone. But, right before he went in, he said "they're letting everyone in line buy up to two - want one?" So I said "Sure." He bought them both, and I paid him for one of them. A year later, when the iPhone 3G came out, he upgraded, and I bought his original iPhone off him for my wife. He threw in the bag.

For those that don't recall, the iPhone was $599 at launch. No carrier subsidy, yet you had to agree to a 2-year contract! Slightly over two months later, Apple dropped the price to $399. Amid huge uproar, they then refunded all earlier purchasers the $200 difference.

Isometric - The Box™

Slab o' Glass, under cardboard.
Very very cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.