Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
How do you guys open an app that has 'faceID required' on your mac desktop using the iPhone Mirroring app? I would hope that it would just open since I gave permission/authenticated my iphone to my mac already.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I hoped it would work, or work via TouchID, but it doesn't seem to work - and even worse often logs me out and I need to setup FaceId on that app again.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Yeah, seems counterintuitive. Hope apple makes this process more streamlined in an update.

Reactions: twanj

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It should work via Touch ID or the Mac's password.

I just set Safari to require Face ID to test this out, and it seems to be working for me.

1726759254102.png

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
That works for me also, but it's inconsistent. It doesn't always bring up that screen where I can enter the password or use touch ID. Sometimes I get a screen that shows "passcode required to open xxxxxx"

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Is that for apps using the new FaceID lock? For me I'm talking about apps like banking apps or similar that use FaceID login
Yeah, I thought that's what the OP was referring to. I also tried Microsoft Authenticator, which is set to require Face ID through the app (not iOS's new feature) and that one worked too.

...but you're right, I see it disables Face ID on my banking apps. :(

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I've just tried with HSBC and Santander banking apps in the UK. In both cases, I had to use a PIN to use the app and re-authenticate Face ID afterwards. It's probably not worth the hassle of using these apps using mirroring at the moment.

Reactions: revs

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Well, I may be just misinformed or something, but I've been getting Notifications from my iPhone on my Mac, that's worked fine. Although, I noticed that if I dismiss them on my Mac, they stay on my iPhone...

So I tried actually just clicking on one of the Notifications, not sure why I didn't before, but THAT opened the iPhone Mirroring app and then connected to my iPhone and actioned on that that Notification and opened the corresponding app! Pretty cool!

Again, I didn't have iPhone Mirroring on, and the app I got a notification for wasn't open already on my iPhone. Clicked Notification, App opened and then app opened and there was my alert in the app. Awesome.

Wagbh

macrumors member
May 6, 2020
Doesn't work for me either, especially as I have the lid closed and use an external monitor.
I get a prompt to authenticate on my Apple Watch instead, which I do, but the app doesn't seem to register and prompts for auth again in an endless loop.

Probably a v1.0 bug that will need fixing...

SoYoung

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2015
For me it doesn't work (intel mac). It ask me the computer password or I can unlock it with my apple watch but when I try one of both methods it just return to the previous screen when it says its locked and when I click again I have to do the same process so in short its an eternal loop.

I hoped the new macOS 15.0.1 and iOS 18.0.1 would fix that but it still not working. I have to turn off faceid for my journal app to be able to use it in mirroring, which is probably the main reason I want this feature on my Mac. Annoying.

Wagbh

macrumors member
May 6, 2020
For me it doesn't work (intel mac). It ask me the computer password or I can unlock it with my apple watch but when I try one of both methods it just return to the previous screen when it says its locked and when I click again I have to do the same process so in short its an eternal loop.

I hoped the new macOS 15.0.1 and iOS 18.0.1 would fix that but it still not working. I have to turn off faceid for my journal app to be able to use it in mirroring, which is probably the main reason I want this feature on my Mac. Annoying.
Same here Intel Mac.

ANything under FaceID will not work. You'll get the prompt, but it'll do nothing and stuck you in an auth prompt loop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.