Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I updated my iPhone and MacBook Pro (M1) to the latest and greatest and cant get the new iPhone Screen Mirroring app to work... just flashes and goes back to "Continue".
Ive verified my accounts are the same on both devices, wifi and BT are on, not screen sharing or anything like that, tried with phone locked and unlocked.....

Last edited:

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I was having issues where it kept timing out. I restarted the iPhone and everything magically worked.

I also saw on Reddit that toggling Bluetooth off/on and both phone and Mac helped some people.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I woke up this AM and had some alerts that my FaceTime account was not authorized on my Mac and mirroring is now working. Weird.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Mine says the phone is use and will connect when not being used, but then, when its not, it times out before connecting. So the App clearly 'sees' the phone, but has issues.

Boring.

pentiac

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
Hull
I updated my iPhone and MacBook Pro (M1) to the latest and greatest and cant get the new iPhone Screen Mirroring app to work... just flashes and goes back to "Continue".
Ive verified my accounts are the same on both devices, wifi and BT are on, not screen sharing or anything like that, tried with phone locked and unlocked.....
I did the same, (mbp 2019 16inch intel) when I click on the iPhone mirroring app on the MacBook pro, my phone asks me to input my passcode (so its definitely found my phone) and all that happens is my MacBook Pro says "unable to connect to iPhone" so I too would like to know if anyone knows how to connect? my phone is iPhone 12.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
PNW
I've tried, unsuccessfully, to connect my iPhone 13 Pro Max (18.0) to my iMac 2019 (Sequoia 15.0) for iPhone Mirroring. Bluetooth and WiFi are enabled, but pairing to the iMac I get the Pairing Unsuccessful and iMac is not supported popup on my iPhone. Any advice on how to resolve? Thanks.

Last edited:

jough

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
M1 Mac Mini - same issue. I've rebooted both devices, tried disabling and re-enabling bluetooth, etc., but it just flickers after pressing "Continue" and never lets me go past that part.

Tried it on an M2 MacBook Air and it worked first time, no issues (although I wish the app supported gestures for returning to the home screen).

morprof1

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2024
I had the same issue and think I found the solution: -
In order to first connect, the iPhone must be in discoverable Bluetooth mode. This can be accomplished by opening the Bluetooth settings screen on iPhone while attempting to connect for the first time. Once connected, lock the phone, and the mirroring will start.

pentiac

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
Hull
In order to first connect, the iPhone must be in discoverable Bluetooth mode. This can be accomplished by opening the Bluetooth settings screen on iPhone while attempting to connect for the first time. Once connected, lock the phone, and the mirroring will start.
Didn't work for me but thanks, usual apple bullsh*t.

Reactions: Bazza1

noguchif

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
Although I can connect (had some issues at first and reset the connection which then worked again) with no problem, if an app is locked by FaceID on the iPhone, no matter how many times I input my Mac password and/or TouchID, the app never unlocks and it's therefore unusable. What strikes me as odd is MacOS Sequoia 15 and iOS 18.0 have gone through several beta testing stages - did this not happen to those who tested it?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
This wasn’t something I had to do. Perhaps it’s a LAN thing... possibly some rules or settings preventing it?

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Not the same issue, but mine worked well from Monday (release day) through Sunday.
Then the last two days it ask for the iPhone passcode to be entered (on the iPhone :mad:) or shows a timeout
error message or a connect message. A few times it works normally.

Nothing changed on my end, maybe is server-side related thing?
Basic troubleshooting didn't solved the problem.

amethystjw

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
I found the answer on Apple's support page here: iPhone Mirroring system requirements

TL;DR is that the feature requires an Apple Silicon computer, or one with a T2 chip.

The 2019 iMacs I have do not qualify. I suspect this explains it for a lot of you. Bummer that the software doesn't check for this hardware requirement and display a useful message to explain the failure.

Reactions: news74 and rukind2

news74

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
I found the answer on Apple's support page here: iPhone Mirroring system requirements

TL;DR is that the feature requires an Apple Silicon computer, or one with a T2 chip.

The 2019 iMacs I have do not qualify. I suspect this explains it for a lot of you. Bummer that the software doesn't check for this hardware requirement and display a useful message to explain the failure.
exactly, same problem here, 2019 iMac without T2 doesn't work. I am surprised that the M1 MBP and MBA also don't work for some reason...

Iphone mirroring works on:
  • MacBook Pro introduced in 2018 through 2020, excluding MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
  • MacBook Air introduced in 2018 through 2020, excluding MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
  • iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) and iMac Pro
  • Mac mini (2018)
  • Mac Pro introduced in 2019

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.