Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Let me preface this by saying I fully understand that not every new feature has to make sense to or be useful to every user. Some features are for “other people” and I’m fine with that.

That said - I set up iPhone Mirroring and it works… fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I can use my iPhone from my Mac. Seems like a niche function; maybe helpful for an app developer but otherwise… anything I can do on the phone, can be done simpler & better on the Mac natively so it’s just not a feature I need.

But reading some posts here… “cool feature” and people scrambling to get non-EU Apple Accounts just to be able to use it 🧐

Am I missing something? What the heck is the fascination with this feature?

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Apple appears to be in the process of dumb'ifying MacOS over the last few OS 'updates' - including using more iOS features and apps within Mac, rather than improving, fixing or creating apps for Mac. Which is pretty rich, given that many iOS apps offer only the basic abilities of what an app (often a company's own app) on a real OS can achieve.

While - as you point out - iPhone mirroring might be useful for developers - as far as I can tell, the rest of the rationale is covered by the above. It's a "Squirrel!" feature - hence why people find it 'cool'.

aihpcfl

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2024
I've just been playing with it so far. The phone is charging on the table next to me and I'm operating the podcast app on the phone, checking for app updates and even updated a few, looking at email and messages on the phone, that sort of thing. I did discover I have the VPN issue with Messages on the mac while playing around, so there's that. I think updating apps on the phone from my mac is the only thing I couldn't do from the mac before. So far, I don't see anything I really needed. It is cool, though.

pyramidic.shallot

macrumors member
May 11, 2022
The best thing I can see for this is any time say, a bank makes you do 2fa stuff to make a purchase, or you get some kind of second-factor thing that routes direct to your phone. I really don't use this for anything else.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
The best thing I can see for this is any time say, a bank makes you do 2fa stuff to make a purchase, or you get some kind of second-factor thing that routes direct to your phone. I really don't use this for anything else.
I get those via forwarding on the Mac already.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
I've just been playing with it so far. The phone is charging on the table next to me and I'm operating the podcast app on the phone, checking for app updates and even updated a few, looking at email and messages on the phone, that sort of thing. I did discover I have the VPN issue with Messages on the mac while playing around, so there's that. I think updating apps on the phone from my mac is the only thing I couldn't do from the mac before. So far, I don't see anything I really needed. It is cool, though.
I guess. My phone’s on the charger by the Mac too, but it’s not such a reach I can’t get to it 🤣

Cool? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I suppose. Nothing I’d go to the trouble of a new Apple Account to use, unless I was developing iOS apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.