Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
I'm getting tired of my Moto X's instability and horrid battery life, and considering a return to iPhone. The last one I owned was an iPhone 4, and I could eke out 2 solid days on a single charge on that thing. Which of the more current-gen iPhone models have comparable battery life? I'm considering side-grading to an iPhone 5c, but maybe waiting until after the next Apple announcement to see if they go down even more in price. I know the 5s has the fingerprint reader, but I'd only consider it if the battery life is significantly better.

Would love a 6s for 3D touch, but I'm not willing to spend $750 for it (I am done with 16GB models).

Thanks!

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
If I'm correct, the best iPhone for battery life is the 6+. The 6s+ is not so far but the 6+ bigger battery give it a slight advantage.
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not really sure about the 6+ vs 6s+ battery life because the A9 chip is more efficient than the A8.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If I'm correct, the best iPhone for battery life is the 6+. The 6s+ is not so far but the 6+ bigger battery give it a slight advantage.
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not really sure about the 6+ vs 6s+ battery life because the A9 chip is more efficient than the A8.
In terms of size, yes, the battery of the 6+ is larger than that of the 6s+. This is because the 3D Touch component of the screen on the 6s+ takes up more room than the non 3D Touch screen on the 6+.

But, while size is a factor, your usage is key.

Reactions: determined09

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
I'm getting tired of my Moto X's instability and horrid battery life, and considering a return to iPhone. The last one I owned was an iPhone 4, and I could eke out 2 solid days on a single charge on that thing. Which of the more current-gen iPhone models have comparable battery life? I'm considering side-grading to an iPhone 5c, but maybe waiting until after the next Apple announcement to see if they go down even more in price. I know the 5s has the fingerprint reader, but I'd only consider it if the battery life is significantly better.

Would love a 6s for 3D touch, but I'm not willing to spend $750 for it (I am done with 16GB models).

Thanks!
Wait for a new 5SE..but two days solid....depends on how you are using your phone....

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
The 6 plus line would be your best bet for battery life. Recent phones haven't gotten the same battery life as their earlier counterparts for me as I use them a lot more than I used to, but I would say that if you have a usage pattern that allows 2 days on an iPhone 4 (pretty impressive), you'll see similar or better battery life on more recent devices.

If all you want is battery life, I would suggest the 6 plus or 6s plus. It gets me though a day and a half of heavy usage when any of the smaller iPhones only got me though around 70%-80% of the day (including a 6).

Considering that your current phone is a 5.2" Moto X, you're probably already used to the larger form-factor. The plus models are going to be the best fit for you.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
The 3D touch is just a gimmick. I never use it. Battery life is phenomenal. But it is also highly subjective. My 6s+ can get me to the following day without charging. But your usage is likely different.

I easily get all day battery on my Nexus 6 with the marshmallow update. Based upon that I would imagine a nexus 6p would last as long as the iphone 6s+ with my typical usage.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I would think the 6s+ has the better battery life over the 6+ because of iOS 9/hardware improvements. I know that my 6s is much, much better than my 6, even though it has a smaller battery.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The 6 +/ 6S+. I've owned both. Both are beast and are about the same. Most days I have about 50-60% charge left with moderate to heavy usage. When I'm not working the next day. I don't charge it at night and I have enough battery to last me until the next afternoon.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
6s+ (TSMC) on a single charge gives me 48 - 50 hours standby time with 12 - 13 hours of screen/usage time. Happy enough with that.

Usage time, yes. Screen time 12-13 hours? Not even remotely possible. Usage and SoT are different things

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
Used to own 6+ and now a 6s+, battery life remains similar too me. If I game for an hour or two I need to charge at the end of each day, otherwise 2 days easily works out.

Do remember even the network 4G/3G/2G effects the battery life, also you can always switch to the low power mode without much usability loss (unlike on androidland) and lengthen the time.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
My 6s+ has about the same battery life as my 6+, which is fantastic. It easily gets me from wake up (6AM) to bedtime (1030PM) practically everyday with anywhere form 50% to 20% remaining. That's all I could ask for.

YMMV obviously, but the vast majority of people don't have to charge mid day using the plus model phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.