Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexkodr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2024
Hope someone might be able to help. I lost my iPhone, and once I realised I wasn't getting it back, I set it to 'erase' in the Find My app. This is currently set to 'pending'. I'm guessing the phone is turned off, which is why it is 'pending'.

One question is that since I lost my phone and put it to 'erase', it's location has moved. So, how is it possible the phone moved location if it's turned off?

It's an iPhone 12 Pro / iOS 16 or 17.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Ok, guessing here now. But maybe its put in airplane mode or as you say turned off.
The U1 chip is active in both scenarios mentioned above and the phone can be tracked in a similar way to an airtag.

More info here.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

alexkodr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2024
Your iPhone may be just lost and nobody has found it yet.
Still doesn't answer how it's moved location after it's been marked for 'erase' in Find My.

So far the only answer I can think of is what Reverend Benny mentioned and that it's using the U1 chip and through the Find My network is pinging off other nearby Apple products.

Reactions: Jay Tee

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
That would be my guess. Location and a few other services (e.g., car keys and public transport passes on Wallet) continue to be active for a bit after the phone shuts down for low battery. The erase would start as soon as the phone is plugged in and gets a data signal telling it that it needs to reset.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
if you had “Find My Network” enabled in the find my settings on the lost device, it will remaining trackable for 24 hours after being turned off or about 5 hours after running out of battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.