Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Hey everyone,
I currently have an iPhone 11, and I've been using a fast charger with a Lightning cable since I got it. Optimized Battery Charging has been doing its thing as expected: I plug it in when I go to bed (say 2 am) and it generally finishes charging by 8:30 am. So far, so good.

I recently got a wireless charging pad, and it works pretty well. My only concern is that, since I generally wake up at night and peek at the phone (e.g. to restart the white noise generator), it's begun to aim for a full charge by 6 am or so.

What happens is this: I wake up (lucky those who sleep for eight hours straight!), deal with mother nature or whatever it is that woke me up, go back to bed and pick the phone from the charger for a minute or two. It doesn't seem to learn that it's going back to the charger, so by the time I've done this, it's already pushed the charge all the way to 100%. I generally put it back onto the charger so that I actually start the day on a full charge, but it's effectively spending hours "charging" unnecessarily.

I suppose it's not any worse than keeping Optimized Charging disabled, but just how bad is it for the battery? I read somewhere that iPhones and Macs don't actually start charging until they drop down to 95%, but I have no idea whether that's true.

Any input on the matter would be appreciated. I'm not overly worried, but I'm quite curious about the whole charging ordeal.

Thanks in advance!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Your phone has charging circuitry that monitors and regulates the power charging your device. It won't overcharge and will start topping off the battery when it falls to 95% if sitting on the charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.