Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bananananabonana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2020

From Wikipedia:​

In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi () is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection.[2] The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of appreciating beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.[3] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印, sanbōin), specifically impermanence (無常, mujō), suffering (苦, ku) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空, ).

Characteristics of wabi-sabi aesthetics and principles include asymmetry, roughness, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and the appreciation of both natural objects and the forces of nature.

Examples of this in iPhones:​

Posts​

If you have or currently do use your iPhone without a case (or with one) and the device has picked up some character (similar to leather cases in the Patina Proud thread), share pictures of your phone here!

It is understable that many people will keep their iPhone in pristine condition so that they can maximize their resale value when it's time to upgrade.

But for those that don't, I think it's beautiful to see how their iPhones age over time, which is why I have started this thread.

Last edited:

bananananabonana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2020
I'll start with a picture of my space grey iPhone 6s Plus which I have used with and without a brown Apple leather case for 5.5 years before upgrading to an iPhone 12 Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
Don't have any pictures to add at the time, but would love to see more of others! Wabisabi ftw :)

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I use a super thin case for added grip. For me a naked iPhone is way to slippery. The case I use is so thin it adds less than a 1/16” to it dimensions. Has a rubbery finish but is not sticky.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is that your daily driver phone? Whatever it is, after that amount of time it looks in great condition!
No, my primary phone is my 11 Pro Max.

The pics are of my iPhone 6s+. It was my primary phone from late September 2015 to May 2020. I use it now to stream music when I walk in the morning and for any situation where there may be a danger to my 11 Pro Max. It's still got an active line.

Battery was replaced in November 2021.

Nimbkoll

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
It’s hard to do it justice with a photo, but my iPhone SE had accompanied me for a good part of my life when I was under financial and mental hardship. The internal components aged very well, allowing me to keep the phone for many years without having to worry about needing a new phone. Any type of setback, especially those involving unexpected expense, was detrimental. The reliability of this iPhone had never failed me.
3804B959-8E30-4F88-9870-D9B1C5D3FAFC.jpeg

With the iPhone SE, I took many pictures that evoke senses of nostalgia, dread and relief. It recorded many life events that I regretted, cherished, or wished to have turned out differently.

I have never placed this phone in a case, nor have I ever put on a screen protector. To me, the phone is beautiful, and to enjoy its beauty, it can’t be covered up. The pristine beauty was very fleeting, but I don’t mind when it quickly picked up scratches. There’s history behind every scratch and dent, time had left its mark there. There’s no corners unscathed on this phone, and when you shine it under the light, the scratches are morbidly beautiful.
78D719D7-709F-48A3-B9B8-261C6C359E16.jpeg

I took these pictures with my iPhone 14 pro. Even though I can now buy expensive stuff without giving it much thought, I’ll forever keep my iPhone SE, because it reminds me of my past.
B7875D6C-0469-42C8-997E-39383DA46049.jpeg

Last edited:

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
It’s hard to do it justice with a photo, but my iPhone SE had accompanied me for a good part of my life when I was under financial and mental hardship. The internal components aged very well, allowing me to keep the phone for many years without having to worry about needing a new phone. Any type of setback, especially those involving unexpected expense, was detrimental. The reliability of this iPhone had never failed me.
View attachment 2156543
With the iPhone SE, I took many pictures that evoke senses of nostalgia, dread and relief. It recorded many life events that I regretted, cherished, or wished to have turned out differently.

I have never placed this phone in a case, nor have I ever put on a screen protector. To me, the phone is beautiful, and to enjoy its beauty, it can’t be covered up. The pristine beauty was very fleeting, but I don’t mind when it quickly picked up scratches. There’s history behind every scratch and dings, time had left its mark there. There’s no corners unscathed on this phone, and when you shine it under the light, the scratches are morbidly beautiful.
View attachment 2156560
I took these pictures with my iPhone 14 pro. Even though I can now buy expensive stuff without giving it much thought, I’ll forever keep my iPhone SE, because it reminds me of my past.
View attachment 2156574
Ah, the 2016 SE :) had one myself, never needed a case, was small enough for me to always have a firm grip on it.

thank you for your honest post, great pics!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.