Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Copernicus1952

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2017
North East England
Hi Guys,

I hope you can help, I've just installed the latest IOS update to my 5S and it now seems to recognise names and has moved them around in the directory, unfortunately this messes with my system as I frequently can't remember peoples names but do remember what they do!

for example, Dave from Snap On is in my phone as Snap On, Dave. I tried to phone him from my directory but he's not there, fortunately I meet Dave every week so I'm unlikely to forget his name but I can't say the same about the person who deals with my registration at our local College or any of the hundreds of people who I've met and interacted with over the years who are in there by their job title.

Ok, I can use the search box but for someone who has arthritis in their fingers extra buttons to press are literally a pain.

Is there a fix for this apart from going back to the previous version which I suspect will shortly be unsupported?

Thanks

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Are you syncing your contacts using iCloud? If you are, and you have a Mac, you can order the names of your contacts whichever way seems best to you. For example: By first name, by last name, by company name and so forth. Then if your contacts are synced via iCloud, they will appear the same way on your 5s.

Copernicus1952

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2017
North East England
Are you syncing your contacts using iCloud? If you are, and you have a Mac, you can order the names of your contacts whichever way seems best to you. For example: By first name, by last name, by company name and so forth. Then if your contacts are synced via iCloud, they will appear the same way on your 5s.

I'm not using iCloud to synch at the moment but if that's all it takes I'll do that. Thank you for your help, I had visions of uninstalls and all sorts of grief to get this back.

Regards

Derek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.