Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple update the iPhone SE

• Yes at March/April Event

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Yes at September

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Perhaps a silent update

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • No!

Votes: 21 44.7%

• Total voters

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 11, 2016
Not hopeful but...
  • 2nd gen Touch Id
  • 3D Touch
  • A10 Fusion
  • Same camera as 7
  • Matte Black
  • Water resistance
  • Stereospeakers
  • Loss of headphone jack

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
2nd gen touch id - i can live with the first one. I can't tell the difference anyway
3D touch - it's just a gimmick ...not usefull not useless ...it's just there
A10 - Yea why not..but the battery is so fine on current SE and more power = less battery
Same camera as 7 - Yep
Matte Black - Hmmm let's do something more great! Iphone 5 Black Color <3 !! Now that's a black black :D
Water resistance - YES PLEASE
Stereo Speaker - meh
Loss of headphone jack - Never. I love SE for this feature and most of SE users love it ;)

The current SE model is still a great phone and it will last very long time :) .

Last edited:
Reactions: iThat and Sunny1990

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 11, 2016
2nd gen touch id - i can live with the first one. I can tell the difference anyway
3D touch - it's just a gimmick ...not usefull not useless ...it's just there
A10 - Yea why not..but the battery is so fine on current SE and more power = less battery
Same camera as 7 - Yep
Matte Black - Hmmm let's do something more great! Iphone 5 Black Color <3 !! Now that's a black black :D
Water resistance - YES PLEASE
Stereo Speaker - meh
Loss of headphone jack - Never. I love SE for this feature and most of SE users love it ;)

The current SE model is still a great phone and it will last very long time :) .

The slate iPhone colour would be amazing! I'm just a lover of small phones. I would love a small iPhone 7 but there is a big chance it wouldn't happen. So... Waiting for September.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I agree with Newtons Apple.

In my opinion, the cell phone market (as a whole) is made up of people who use and continue to want the large screen phone. I don't see a growing market for the SE. As such, I don't see Apple making big continual changes with it.
Yeah, have to agree here.

The iPhone SE exists simply because Apple wanted to get back the customers who refused the leave the 5/5s because of it's size. Apple has them now. There's nowhere else to go if you want an Apple iPhone in that size. So there's no real incentive for Apple to upgrade it in the same time frame it does for the larger iPhones.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
The SE is a little powerhouse so it won't be replaced this year, but I think 32GB & 128GB could be on the cards though.

If anything this could be the last time we see a truly compact smartphone from Apple, with the fashion now moving onto borderless displays & rumoured AMOLED with the iPhone 8 or 9, then either of these could be potentially shrunk down in size with a large display over the current iPhone 7.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think there is a possibility for a storage update this spring (i.e. 32 & 128 GB models with the 16 & 64 GB models phased out). I wouldn't hold my breath for much else this year though. I suspect a big part of why Apple gave the SE the A9 when it was released as the new entry level model in early 2016 is so they could sell it as is for a couple years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's already been rumored the SE will see a 128 GB storage update if the Keynote exists. I think it's fair to say that will happen at minimum.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2017/02/20/ipad-pro-march-event-128gb-iphone-se/amp/

I think most have to remember, the SE is a $400.00 iPhone for a reason. And if Apple starts inputting the latest technology into the SE, that takes away it's advantage for most who find the appeal of the price point, besides the 4 inch form factor. If the SE does see an update, it won't be until 2018. It's a great iPhone, but not everybody wants the latest features, which the SE does so well in its current state.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1611215

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Technically in several years the SE could keep its size but go bezel less and have a tall 4.x screen. But since any changes are a big hoo haa with apple it wont happen. Curved bezel less amoled screens are no big deal to anyone else and costs don't go through the roof. But apple makes a big deal about it... and charges.

An iPhone SE and an iPhone 5 are so similar bar camera and speed. I'm the small phone lover for iPhone. S7 in house for the big screen.

JustJoshua

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
More memory in the same phone makes it even more appealing to those of us that don't want to look ignorant trying to stuff tablet sized phones in their pockets. The SE is a gear device for what it is and he price bracket it competes in makes it even better. The rest of the wish list would put it in a price bracket where it would get passed by for much better devices.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
As others have stated, the SE covers all of the basic needs so well, and in the traditional 5s size and form that everyone likes so well. I do think that we will see 128g storage option though.

Reactions: JustJoshua

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Literally the main and only thing I care about with SE is a higher quality screen

2nd gen Touch would be nice but my iPad Pro lacks that too
I can deal with everything else. Even 64gig

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Remember, the SE was named as such because it is a "special edition." Most special edition items are one time only things. That suggests to me that there will never be a second generation SE - the current one will likely stay around until Apple decides to eliminate the SE line completely.

Reactions: andreyush

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 11, 2016
Remember, the SE was named as such because it is a "special edition." Most special edition items are one time only things. That suggests to me that there will never be a second generation SE - the current one will likely stay around until Apple decides to eliminate the SE line completely.
True!

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It suits those who buy it perfectly. People who just want a small smartphone that runs smoothly. Apple won't update it very often, and I hope they keep the form factor alive for years to come...because it's a brilliant timeless design.

Reactions: 1611215

iThat

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
Water resistance

Barometer

Stereo speakers (but not at the price of losing the headphone jack)

edit: And fgs keep it in the same 5s/se form factor

Last edited:
Reactions: andreyush

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Water resistance would be a good touch. I honestly think that if I were to part ways with my 6S, I'd definitely go for the SE, I really miss having a smaller phone.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Water resistance would be a good touch. I honestly think that if I were to part ways with my 6S, I'd definitely go for the SE, I really miss having a smaller phone.

I'm sure that I'm in a small subset of customers for whom cost is not a factor, but I so much more prefer the size of the SE compared to the 6 that I had or the 7 that I personally would have paid double the price for my SE, and I would be happy to pay even more in the future if Apple managed to squeeze the latest tech into this size, like what Sony did for years which their personal electronics (i.e. laptops, portable music devices, camcorders, etc) when the trend was to try to make everything smaller and lighter. Sony charged a HUGE premium for top of the line specs that were smaller and lighter than the competition. But, I don't think this is Apple plan, and agree with those who say it's supposed to be Apple's budget phone. I'm still happy since it does everything I need a cell phone to do (which admittedly isn't much), and does it well.

Mirascael

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
I'm sure that I'm in a small subset of customers for whom cost is not a factor, but I so much more prefer the size of the SE compared to the 6 that I had or the 7 that I personally would have paid double the price for my SE, and I would be happy to pay even more in the future if Apple managed to squeeze the latest tech into this size, like what Sony did for years which their personal electronics (i.e. laptops, portable music devices, camcorders, etc) when the trend was to try to make everything smaller and lighter. Sony charged a HUGE premium for top of the line specs that were smaller and lighter than the competition. But, I don't think this is Apple plan, and agree with those who say it's supposed to be Apple's budget phone. I'm still happy since it does everything I need a cell phone to do (which admittedly isn't much), and does it well.
Got nothing to do with how to squeeze the latest tech into the size, it's simply bad product management on Apple's behalf.

Apple could (and should) offer the same phone tech-wise in 3 different sizes w/o any problems and just discount the previous generation.

The only reason I temporarily switched to a 6S was that 1 GB Memory of my 5S didn't suffice. Now I replaced the 6S with a cheap SE and will disregard premium clown phones iPhones for as long as possible. If the SE was a premium phone and got updated regularly, I would upgrade yearly though.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcpmark

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008

Well it's basically a 6S underneath isn't it? And I still love my phone, performs very fast and just does what it should do, the only way I could enjoy it more would be if it was a tad smaller.

And, in my opinion they're also better looking, they have a more upmarket look to them.

Reactions: dcpmark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.