Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tandras84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
After a few days using my new iPhone SE the volume up button and the side button does not work when silent mode is on. When the silent mode is off, the buttons do work. Issue is still there after a factory reset.

Also when i’m changing the volume up the silent mode on will appear for a sec.

really annoying issue for a brand new phone

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Are you on 13.4.1 or 13.4? Seems like an odd software specific issue not hardware if only happening in silent mode

Haven’t experienced this on 13.4 / haven’t been inclined to update yet

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Maybe best to return for a refund and get another.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
After a few days using my new iPhone SE the volume up button and the side button does not work when silent mode is on. When the silent mode is off, the buttons do work. Issue is still there after a factory reset.

Also when i’m changing the volume up the silent mode on will appear for a sec.

really annoying issue for a brand new phone

As thadoggfather said, sounds like a software issue if they button are otherwise working. A reset wouldn’t fix a bug since you will be ok the same software. What version are you on?

tandras84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
I'm on the newest version 13.4.1
I also tended towards the software issue, but the issue with volume up triggering silent mode for a sec...I'm not sure. As a workaround a leave the physical silent mode switch on so that the side button works and turning the silent mode on with assistive touch. I will get an appointment when the apple stores will be open again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.