Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hi all have the new SE and the battery for me (normal use) lasts from 8 am to 12 pm, it literally drained 2% for the time being of me explaining to the apple rep my issue without even using the phone. For comparison, my iPhone 11 pro max was going up to two days with the same usage. Went to apple store they did the diagnostics and told me the battery is perfectly fine and the issue is me using the phone too much (?!?) and that I should upgrade to 11 pro max if I want more battery life. I strongly disagree and wonder if anyone else using SE 2nd gen is experiencing the same issue. Thanks.

Unklemac

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2018
Denmark
Theres a big thread about unusual battery drainage on different iphones including some iphone 11’s, some 2% pr. hour some 4–5% with zero usage. Mine drains about 3%, so i had it replaced in the shop, and the new does exactly the same. I even tried to reinstall ios, with no extra apps, no email account setup etc. It still drained. It’s an iOS issue, that came with 13.5 (or 13.5.1) or so. I’m running beta updates, and people with access to iOS 14 says it’s still draining.

• Wow
Reactions: manyelski

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Maybe an iOS 13.6 specific bug?

dont recall people complaining at launch which shipped with 13.4.1 I believe and 13.5 followed shortly thereafter

or maybe 13.4.1 was never signed when 13.5 was out but some phones came with it

either way not a common complaint even though the Pro's and 11 obviously get way better battery (bigger battery so)

Sam_andrea

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
The battery on the SE 2020 is not great to begin with, plus you seem to experience a software problem.

On the 11 Pro Max you could get 11h of on screen and 4h on the SE.
There is a huge difference between the two.

Unklemac

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2018
Denmark
Maybe an iOS 13.6 specific bug?

dont recall people complaining at launch which shipped with 13.4.1 I believe and 13.5 followed shortly thereafter

or maybe 13.4.1 was never signed...

It came with 13.5

It’s still there in 14 beta 3

I gave up a month ago writing the 2 thread long convo about everyone affected by the sudden drain.

Look at attached foto of my last 24 hour.

Attachments

• E2A7CFD1-A41D-44D9-A42C-FDFC6C7F2B52.jpeg
    E2A7CFD1-A41D-44D9-A42C-FDFC6C7F2B52.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 189

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Mine came with 13.4.1, even if it wasn't signed !

Most were probably 13.5 though

I remember because I upgraded iOS versions and debating staying or leaping haha

--

similar thing happened with XR. Some shipped with 12.0.1 even though never signed, and 12.1 was the only signed version at the time and what most units shipped with

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Thanks all, I tried re-installing firmware (volume up, volume down, hold power button for 20 sec while connected to my mac and hitting restore button) Did not seem to have done much good so far. Anything else I can try or just wait to hopefully Apple fixes its trash? Thanks.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I haven’t had issues with mine at all. I mean sure it’s not like my 11 was, but I’ve not had anything like this. I just realized I have not updated to 13.6 though - don’t know if that makes a difference.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
I've tried 3 different SEs (from two different stores) as well as a friend's new SE and all performed the same in terms of battery - not great, but OK. I don't think there's an issue with yours either, that's just how the battery is on the new SE.

Things to consider to improve battery life in terms of settings:

- Make sure you're up to date with iOS (13.6)
- Turn off Siri completely
- Turn off Bluetooth
- Turn off mobile data when you're connected to WiFi (e.g. at home)
- Turn off background app refresh for all apps
- Lower brightness
- Remove any widgets (the ones when you scroll left on the home screen)
- Turn off any push notifications you don't need
- Use Apple made apps (e.g. Mail, Safari) instead of third party apps
- Low Power mode on (when sub 20%)
- Optimized battery charging
- Watch less streaming video or at a lower quality

I know there are things you can do hardware wise like battery calibration but I find all of the above is what helps me the most.

Reactions: 5105973

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
A big one I think that helps is going into accessibility and enabling reduce motion. Then also prefer cross fade transitions. It also saves a lot of time if you’re someone who uses your phone heavily throughout the day. Those quick seconds add up over time. Also with reduced motion I’m convinced it’s easier on the processor than the fancy slide in and out graphics.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A big one I think that helps is going into accessibility and enabling reduce motion. Then also prefer cross fade transitions. It also saves a lot of time if you’re someone who uses your phone heavily throughout the day. Those quick seconds add up over time. Also with reduced motion I’m convinced it’s easier on the processor than the fancy slide in and out graphics.
While it can certainly be easier on the eyes (and I use it myself), I'm not that certain there's much to any thing actually noticeable as far as actual battery life.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
While it can certainly be easier on the eyes (and I use it myself), I'm not that certain there's much to any thing actually noticeable as far as actual battery life.

I used to think so but I’m not so sure. The fading in and out is a much more graphic-heavy task to invoke and if you use the phone often throughout the day it should make some kind of difference. Plus just the time saved because it’s super fast transitioning with the fade vs the animations.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I used to think so but I’m not so sure. The fading in and out is a much more graphic-heavy task to invoke and if you use the phone often throughout the day it should make some kind of difference. Plus just the time saved because it’s super fast transitioning with the fade vs the animations.
Having used it quite a bit with both it seems it's more of a placebo type of effect than anything else. Animating some movement vs. a fade is more or less similar performance hit in the sense that it isn't that much of a hit either way. And in terms of timing, it's more on perception it seems as while there isn't an animation to see when it's disabled the timing it takes for the fade to do what it does is more or less the same.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
Hi all have the new SE and the battery for me (normal use) lasts from 8 am to 12 pm, it literally drained 2% for the time being of me explaining to the apple rep my issue without even using the phone. For comparison, my iPhone 11 pro max was going up to two days with the same usage. Went to apple store they did the diagnostics and told me the battery is perfectly fine and the issue is me using the phone too much (?!?) and that I should upgrade to 11 pro max if I want more battery life. I strongly disagree and wonder if anyone else using SE 2nd gen is experiencing the same issue. Thanks.

Yes. I call myself the average user meaning basic stuff like surfing the net, shopping, bills,texts, random calls, some social media, YouTube, email etc.

After reading about the battery I wanted to see how I did for a week with the SE2 SOT and I’m around 7 to 9 hrs on avg. I soon learned that I do use my phone a lot. I never really had to pay attention to my SOT but this battery drain made me.

The SE is beautiful but it’s not me, I just went with the 11 Pro. I need more battery and the 11 pro is perfect.

Keep in mind, I’m around chargers too. Home and car with the 18w but to see how the battery ? would drain with usuage was just a smh moment.

So your experience is true, that’s how it is. The Pro is the same size as the SE2 so I’m still getting the compact experience but with a little weight.

Yes the iPhone 7 battery case is nice but I like using other cases too so that was returned. It was weird always keeping my phone on the charger or always having to think about it vs just charging at night and use all day the next. I will say the SE standby time is excellent but most iPhones have excellent standby.

Literally today I am returning the SE back and it’s been refreshing to be on the Pro.

Last edited:

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
I've tried 3 different SEs (from two different stores) as well as a friend's new SE and all performed the same in terms of battery - not great, but OK. I don't think there's an issue with yours either, that's just how the battery is on the new SE.

Things to consider to improve battery life in terms of settings:

- Make sure you're up to date with iOS (13.6)
- Turn off Siri completely
- Turn off Bluetooth
- Turn off mobile data when you're connected to WiFi (e.g. at home)
- Turn off background app refresh for all apps
- Lower brightness
- Remove any widgets (the ones when you scroll left on the home screen)
- Turn off any push notifications you don't need
- Use Apple made apps (e.g. Mail, Safari) instead of third party apps
- Low Power mode on (when sub 20%)
- Optimized battery charging
- Watch less streaming video or at a lower quality

I know there are things you can do hardware wise like battery calibration but I find all of the above is what helps me the most.

If you have to do all that, it’s definitely just the SE battery. You can’t even enjoy your phone.

That’s why I’m on the 11 Pro. I can be me still ?

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
I haven’t had issues with mine at all. I mean sure it’s not like my 11 was, but I’ve not had anything like this. I just realized I have not updated to 13.6 though - don’t know if that makes a difference.

Glad your enjoying your SE. I know you from your post. I went with/back to the 11 Pro. The Pro still is the same size but with a bigger battery and some weight lol. Oh and no PWM either might I add.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Glad your enjoying your SE. I know you from your post. I went with/back to the 11 Pro. The Pro still is the same size but with a bigger battery and some weight lol. Oh and no PWM either might I add.

It’s definitely close to the same size, but the pro is a little bigger. I think the pro a great size phone, but the weight was a bit much, and I was concerned about OLED issues since I’ve had trouble in the past.

Sticking with my SE for now. I’ll see what things look like with the 12 lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.