Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbnumara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2019
I was wiping the back of my phone with alcohol. Then I grabbed it as I was scrolling .. bottom right of the screen i saw a little darkening of the black was seizing screen slowly. I was surprised , I turned off the screen and heated it insanely with the hair dryer. I unlocked the phone it was there and bigger [sm \u003d s20.gif]. What should I do ? Do you think the LCD's gone? Or if I dry up for a day? Please help.

Attachments

• DSC03659.JPG
    DSC03659.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC03661.JPG
    DSC03661.JPG
    352.8 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC03674.JPG
    DSC03674.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 214

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
The older iPhones are easier to repair, if you feel you can handle it I would just order a new battery and LCD from fixez.com, they’re cheap too. If you can’t, well tough luck aside from paying Apple or someone else to do the repair.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbnumara

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Take the screen protector off. It looks like liquid is trapped between the screen and the protector. Alcohol evaporates very quickly and is even used to clean parts during repairs. I don't see how it could of caused any harm unless you submerged it in a container of alcohol...

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
The alcohol screwed up the backlight layer of the screen. The LCD part is fine, just needs new backlight. Probably easier to replace the whole screen for an SE.

Reactions: maxjohnson2

sbnumara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2019
Thanks to all.

Afterall mic , speaker , screen working fully.😏 It has been wanting a maintanence. Battery health has already reduced to 73%. As i write to forum i went and put the phone in a box of rice and i'll wait for 2-4 days.

PPL on other forums told me that Apple puts a gasket between the phone and the outside layer. might it be the gasket that caused the leak ? 🤔

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Thanks to all.

Afterall mic , speaker , screen working fully.😏 It has been wanting a maintanence. Battery health has already reduced to 73%. As i write to forum i went and put the phone in a box of rice and i'll wait for 2-4 days.

PPL on other forums told me that Apple puts a gasket between the phone and the outside layer. might it be the gasket that caused the leak ? 🤔
No gasket will prevent alcohol entering the phone. The SE has no adhesive around the screen.

sbnumara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2019
No gasket will prevent alcohol entering the phone. The SE has no adhesive around the screen.

this is pretty silly to be honest. Technically my iphone's lcd can broke down with a single drop rain on the right place

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
It’s not really silly if you consider that alcohol is a strong solvent and the iPhone’s water resistance comes from utilising adhesives.

Reactions: sbnumara
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.