Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I could have sworn I saw a reviews thread for the SE in the iPhone Forum, but I'm not seeing it now...

So a thread to collect in-depth reviews of the SE in by the tech media for one-stop consumption.

Apple iPhone SE review: A compelling blend of old and new
There's lots of power wrapped up in this tiny package.
Engadget

Even though we all knew it was coming, Apple's iPhone SE announcement still managed to raise eyebrows ... and plenty of questions. Is there still a market for a 4-inch iPhone? Is Apple playing it safe with its design? Arguably, the answer to both these questions is yes, but after a week of using the iPhone SE, I can safely say that none of that matters. Regardless of Apple's reasons for making this thing, the iPhone SE is a lovely smartphone for iOS newcomers and small-handed users alike.

Engadget Score 89

Pros

• Great performance
  • Amazing battery life for an iPhone
  • Starts at $399
Cons
  • Screen too small for some
  • Old front camera, Touch ID sensor
  • Base model only has 16GB of storage
Summary
Just because the iPhone SE looks like an old device doesn't mean it acts like one.Apple squeezed flagship-level performance and the best battery life we've seen from an iPhone in years into a familiar (and relatively inexpensive) frame. The phone lacks some of the 6s's niceties and its screen is just too small for some, but the iPhone SE is the best compact phone Apple has ever made.

Hardware
It's an iPhone 6s in the body of an iPhone 5s. Boom, done, see you guys later.

Kidding, kidding. Still, while that sentiment is a little too reductive, it's mostly right. Nearly all the things that make an iPhone 6s an iPhone 6s are back, just squeezed into...

Some surprising test numbers in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.